1999 Accord Type R - Paint Correction

Paul Smith

Evening all,

Not a 350Z or a Nissan for that matter, but a performance saloon that holds a special place in my heart, the Accord Type R.

Got a PM from a fellow member on AccordR.org asking if I'd carry out some paint correction on his new purchase. A couple of weeks later I had a Pirates Black ATR sat back in my garage.

I won't apologise for the lack of pictures. The temperature on the day was hovering around 1 degrees and there was a strong wind blowing through that car park so I was in no mood to be taking photogenic snaps for everyone else to enjoy.

The owner wanted the paint brought back to a respectable finish, good enough for the odd meet and bring back the purple to the paint.

The car had roughly 130,000 miles on the clock, and when I first saw the car up at Knockhill I thought the paint looked OK but it wasn't until a good snow foam and over an hour with the spray and clay bar that I saw how bad it really was :-(

ATR_157ATR.jpg

So the usual list was carried out -

*Full car washed using two bucket method and Meguiars shampoo plus.

*Front, sides and rear of car de-tarred using AS Tardis.

*Full car re-washed again.

*Bodywork clayed using Meguairs Medium clay bar.

*Full Body correction carried out using Porter Cable DA Polisher, 3M compounding pad and Megs Ultra Cut Compound #105.

*Full car then polished using 3M Perfect IT III Ultrafine SE Polish and 3M Perfect IT III SE Polishing Pad.

*Bodywork then sealed AG Extra Gloss Protection.

*A coat of Collinite No.915 Marque D'Elegance Car Wax then applied.

Before claying -

ATR_161ATR.jpg

ATR_154ATR.jpg

After claying-

ATR_156ATR.jpg

ATR_153ATR.jpg

Some shots after compound-

ATR_205ATR.jpg

ATR_220ATR.jpg

Some shots after polish-

ATR_236ATR.jpg

ATR_218ATR.jpg

ATR_237ATR.jpg

ATR_195ATR.jpg

Owner had a new set of powder coated wheels to fit to the car so no time was spent cleaning the wheels and I was asked not to valet it either. It didn't make for the best of pictures but the paint came out good and a good coat of what I like to call "winter wax" should keep the owner happy until the better weather arrives.

ATR_250ATR.jpg

ATR_252ATR.jpg

Good to be back in Accord Type R again.