The Perfectly Designed Head Unit - Parrot Asteroid

craigmdennis

Hey,

I have been trying to find a nice head unit to replace the standard unit (as it just doesn't do what I need it to - already done the bose hack but want bluetooth / satnav). I've toyed with something like Cookes android based car pc but it seems a little overkill.

Then I stumbled across Parrot's new range. I've search the forum and can't find reference to it so thought I would post and get some feedback.

ASTERIOD.jpg

So check out this: http://www.parrot.com/uk/products/hands-free-car-kits/parrot-asteroid or the not yet released double DIN version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Baua4Ul4TUo

Now, I'm a fan of buttons to compliment touch devices, especially in cars so I'm looking at the single DIN version.

You can buy it from Sextons here: http://www.sextonsdirect.co.uk/in_car_handsfree_kits/bluetooth_head_units/parrot/p~ASTEROID.html?cat=745%20at%20a%20really%20good%20price. or there are a bunch on ebay.

So I'm wondering what everyone makes of this?

I have a GT4 with Bose so want to maintain the steering wheel controls.

I have read this: http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=16403 so think I have all the right kit.

Should be easy, right?

I had a look at the DD demo and I have to say I didn't like the look of the interface, having to scroll up and down to find things is not good while your driving :surrender:

Hence why I like buttons :)

I'm a stickler for a good UI as I design them for a living and as such I hate nearly all in-car touch screen devices.

Internet apps are hit and miss. Real-time traffic & maps = good. Facebook & Twitter = bad (distracting etc).

Think I'm going to buy and install.

Will take some pics and post as I go.

If I could, I'd design and build my own!

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the single din unit in my room, I just can't seem to find the right wiring harness for it, in order to keep the steerig control. You get any luck finding the right harness Craig ?

No, there isn't one yet (that's what you get for being ahead of the curve).

The lovely folks at Sextons called me up to say as much as I ordered one of the connectors that goes with it.

I have since done some more research on it and it looks like you can't maintain the phone controls from the steering wheel even *with* the correct (not yet been made) wiring harness. Folks seem to say that you can do it, but that you need to disassemble the steering wheel control itself and hack rewire the button.

More research needed but I've bought it anyway.

I would have installed it at the weekend but Sextons only sent me the unit and not the converter or wiring loom :thumbdown:

I'll post some install pics (if I remember)

I've got the single din unit in my room, I just can't seem to find the right wiring harness for it, in order to keep the steerig control. You get any luck finding the right harness Craig ?

Why do you need one, Tony just cliped it into the existing wiring loom.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you managed to install the parrot yet.

Just wondering how the sound might compare to say an alpine head unit at a similar price??

Thanks mark.

Hey, yes I have installed it but not fully (sub not connected as I'm keeping the factory speakers / amps / sub so currently very quiet).

I'm installing one of these at the weekend:http://www.shipsound.com/PAC-ROEM-NIS2-NissanInfiniti-Premium-Radio-Replacement-Kit_p_9640.html which should restore my bass

I will take some pics and review it then with some info on wiring it up to factory (although I don't even know how yet).

It's really nice though. The 'sat nav' is poor though. It's just google maps with no turn-by-turn navigation.

Also there is no steering wheel control adapted yet. Parrot have told me one is planned later in the year.

I think there was a new firmware released a day or so back - have you applied it?

Think I may install one too ;)

Which fascia adapter did you use - I'm keen to try and get one that fits snug and looks pretty oem.

Good luck with the weekend install.

Mark

So I completed my install this weekend.

Surprisingly simple when you have the correct wiring diagrams.

th_Photo2-1.jpg

I took the plug that came with my head unit and cut the wires where some of the existing connections were using connectors (so I can crimp my own connectors on it should I change the rest of the stereo).

Then I spliced together the cables from the PAC box with the cables from the head unit. For the most part the colours were the same. Was left with 4 or 5 not connected. Phone call mute and high level speaker outs.

th_Photo3-1.jpg

Then I ran a firmware update (just drop the files onto a USB stick and plug it in the back - easiest update ever).

th_Photo4-1.jpg

Now I can share my iPhone's data connection and get internet radio.

And this is the final install.

th_Photo1-1.jpg

Looks pretty good.

At some point I'm going to drill a hole in the back of the little cubby underneath and feed the iPhone physical cable & USB extension lead through so things can just sit there.

GPS unit is currently just sitting on the dash. Haven't found the right place for it yet. I may just take it out completely as the map app is @*!# for a car.

Also need to put the mic in but need to route the cable somewhere.