Rear sound deadening

bazmcc

Looking for some help about sound deadening. I've been reading various reports on various websites and forums about it but could do with some more advice.

I'm basically looking to reduce the road noise from the rear of the car. I'm currently searching for a tonneau cover to help, but I'm also looking at maybe putting a deadening layer around the spare wheel bay and on the rest of the boot floor. I keep reading about Dynamat and Dynamat Extreme, but does anyone else have any other alternative suggestions? I'm not necessarily needing top-notch stuff at huge prices, just something reduce the sound from the rear to let me hear music and the engine better! My other requirement would be that the material isn't too thick.

And also, roughly what surface area would I be looking to cover?

I did pretty extensive sound deadening in my car; the whole cabin floor, the doors, and pretty much the whole boot area all with a layer of aluminium-backed anti-resonance stuff (dynamat) and then an acoustic membrane over that. To be honest it didn't make as much of a difference as i was expecting. It was noticable but not exactly life-changing, so i'd think twice before shelling out on it if i were you. The problem is there are more effective materials out there than the ones i used but the best way to kill noise is with mass, so they all weigh a ton, and I wouldn't have wanted to use anything heavier than i did. My advice is really not to bother; it didn't have a great effect and was quite expensive and time-consuming, do what i ended up doing and buy a louder head unit.

DB

• 2 weeks later...