LED bulbs blowing

Siman350z

Just thought i'd post this up as I know quite a few people on here change their bulbs to LED as one of the first basics mods to the car and might be having the same issues..

I recently bought these ebay cheapo items from ebay to replace my regular number plate bulbs:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-350Z-2003-6-LED-WHITE-NUMBER-PLATE-BULBS-/230340228158?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35a158f43e

They looked awesome but have blown within a month, in fact it was so quick I was ready to get the fuses out! But it turns out new bulbs are fine.

After a bit of research on several car forums it seems this is really common. It turns out a lot of these cheap eBay LED units are 12V rated, when in fact the voltage of the car's battery is more like ~14v when the car is running and the alternator charging the battery (indeed this is what my volt meter on the dash says too) thus blowing the LEDs after a short time.

What is required is a higher rated bulb like this (which i've just ordered):

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/501194t10-mini-light-tower-leds-xenon-white-p-2391.html

They're only a couple of quid more and will update this thread if they last like they apparantly should do.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this topic post Siman350z...I've always believed in avoiding the cheapo ebay option. I upgraded to LED bulbs fairly shortly after purchasing my Zed 2 years ago but I've had nothing but problems with them burning out; it seems I was perhaps buying LED bulbs without a resistor built in and therefore they never lasted any longer than a month or so!!! :angry:

This is seriously annoying when I was using them as my front sidelight replacement and was always going in through the arch liner...as soon as the cuts and scrapes on my hands repaired I needed to do it all again.

Even after sorting advice from my local 'Race and Rally' centre and then spending over £25 for a pair of LED bulbs...still they did not last and my patience was beginning to run low. The dealer said it was unfortunate and I was beginning to think LED's were over-rated :thumbdown: I then recieved a free set of LED bulbs from ABD (AutoBulbs Direct) with my wiper blades. Wipers fantastic but bulbs very poor in strength although they have lasted! At this point I gave up and settled with these free bulbs.

Then I read your post and checked out thre Ultra Led website...products and reviews looked good and the prices were almost half of those on the ABD site B) At this price I thought it was worth a punt.

I purchased these for the front sidelights http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/501t10194-ceramic-watt-ultra-xenon-white-p-2395.html as they are specifically designed to withstand heat from nearby bulbs (i.e headlights on the Zed) and these for the rear number plate http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/ultimate-501t10194-watt-ultra-xenon-white-p-1677.html

Well all I can say now is WOW...if these last longer than any LED I've had before I'm going to be one 'happy chappy' :yahoo: as the light they emit is blinding and so white! B) Thanks again!

Glad they look good, I'll let you know how I get on with mine.

I work with led's for my job (research) and they should last many, many years (unlike conventional tungsten) so there's hope that someone shd be selling the right bulb. Also, with a specific company, if they blow this time we should be able to get a replacement/ refund. Poor show though on the ebay guys who get good feedback 2 days after fitting when they then blow a week later but can then sell 1000's.

Fingers crossed!

Poor show though on the ebay guys who get good feedback 2 days after fitting when they then blow a week later but can then sell 1000's.

Fingers crossed!

I'm with you on this one...you look at their status' and the amount of sales they've made and you kinda believe that they must be selling a good product...pity ebay doesn't allow you to alter or update your feedback!

Anyway thanks again mate

Thanks for this topic post Siman350z...I've always believed in avoiding the cheapo ebay option. I upgraded to LED bulbs fairly shortly after purchasing my Zed 2 years ago but I've had nothing but problems with them burning out; it seems I was perhaps buying LED bulbs without a resistor built in and therefore they never lasted any longer than a month or so!!! :angry:

This is seriously annoying when I was using them as my front sidelight replacement and was always going in through the arch liner...as soon as the cuts and scrapes on my hands repaired I needed to do it all again.

Even after sorting advice from my local 'Race and Rally' centre and then spending over £25 for a pair of LED bulbs...still they did not last and my patience was beginning to run low. The dealer said it was unfortunate and I was beginning to think LED's were over-rated :thumbdown: I then recieved a free set of LED bulbs from ABD (AutoBulbs Direct) with my wiper blades. Wipers fantastic but bulbs very poor in strength although they have lasted! At this point I gave up and settled with these free bulbs.

Then I read your post and checked out thre Ultra Led website...products and reviews looked good and the prices were almost half of those on the ABD site B) At this price I thought it was worth a punt.

I purchased these for the front sidelights http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/501t10194-ceramic-watt-ultra-xenon-white-p-2395.html as they are specifically designed to withstand heat from nearby bulbs (i.e headlights on the Zed) and these for the rear number plate http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/ultimate-501t10194-watt-ultra-xenon-white-p-1677.html

Well all I can say now is WOW...if these last longer than any LED I've had before I'm going to be one 'happy chappy' :yahoo: as the light they emit is blinding and so white! B) Thanks again!

Just ordered some of those second ones :teeth: