Short term insurance & deprecation value?

christianmg

Hey guys,

So im being shipped off to Oz for a year with work, with not much notice, its being a maybe for about 3 months but only got conformation yesterday and fly on the 22nd.

My insurance is up on monday, so its not worth renewing.

Does anyone know of any good insurance companies that offer short term insurance? So I can try and sell it within the next month? Or do I need insurance to sell the car?? I have a motorbike which I will just use for work.

Or ... is it better just to put the car into storage and get it when I come back in a year?? Like I just dont want it to deprecate too much more over the next year, and with petrol prices rising will it be harder to sell?? 04 Silver GT Coupe

Okay couple of options here.

Firstly you dont have to have insurance to sell the car. But, it means you have to SORN the car and keep it off road - which means potential buyers cant really take it for a test drive.

You can get monthly insurance - if you are not using your NCB on any other vehicle then you can use it for this. I did just this when I sold my last car. I got monthly insurance through adrian flux. Unfortunately because I was using my NCB on my zed I had no NCB on the car I was selling, so it cost me as much for 2 months insurance as it did previously for the entire year. But, I had no other option really as I wanted to be able to take potential buyers for test drives in it.

Depreciation is going to be hard to predict. zeds atm tend to drop in price over winter and go up slightly in spring / summer. But, big engined cars in general are dropping in value cos not everyone can afford to run them. So, who knows what price they will be in spring - will it be worth more than it is now? Not sure. It maybe easier to sell though in Spring than in Winter. But then you have storage costs, and things like MOT`s running out etc.

Id be tempted to try and sell now just to get rid of it.

Short term insurance is effing expensive in my experience, but it does seem to be mainly because i'm 23. There are plenty of brokers though, just do a google. If you don't need the money I think I'd leave it in storage for your trip as when you come back it will probably be well under the average mileage for its age and so easier to sell. Trying to sell a Zed at the moment looks like its going to be a pretty heartbreaking experience: worst time of year, temporary (IMO) peak in fuel prices, slow economy.

It may not be what you'd have chosen but a year in Oz could be epic if you make the most of it. :thumbs:

DB

Short term insurance is definitely not worth it ...

When I came to renew I was only 2 weeks away from my next birthday so was thinking of getting a 2 week policy in case the renewal went down due to age etc ...

Anyway, the cost of those 2 weeks was quite a lot more than my annual renewal cost ...

:wacko:

Actually the best way seems to be ... re-insure with Bell and then cancel the policy after a month!!

They are only charging a £45 cancellation fee, and then refunding all unused money.

Which is amazing considering im cancelling my bike insurance which was re-newed in september and only getting 40% back.

So its working out about £110 for the month as oppose to £200-£300 on short insurance