Handling

IDH

I had exactly the same problem when i picked my car up.

the garage had put new back tyres, kaiser something on the back to get it through its mot before i picked it up.

I nearly spun on the wet motorway on the way back, slightly damp roads or any kind of change in surface / camber, markings on the road would really unsettle the car. it would crab about all the time and even with the TC off the slip light was coming on all the time and the brakes were grabbing at random wheels. it was very scary.

I actually posted in a thread called 'suspension problems' on here.

anyway. it was the tyres. I couldn't believe the difference it made and now i would never put even a mediocre tyre on my car.

if you have a fairly powerful rear drive car you need good tyres!!!

I would get them changed fast, and make sure you put the same on the back as the front, or get new tyres all round

Lets not turn this thread into a battle about which tyres he should get though, we have enough of those allready.

Not really if you got bald tires on the rear of a fwd if you are pushing too hard your dead. If the car starts to spin which is loss of back end grip you can't get it back in a fwd car.

On a slightly related note, I hear from people at work all the time "oh they're only tyres, I'll just get the cheapest ones around, it doesn't really matter". Those four bits of rubber are the only thing connecting you to the road though. Maybe it depends what you're driving, but I think it's worth paying a little more for some that will actually keep you there rather than in the nearest tree!

Fine for pootling about in a @*!# box to and from work, but in a 1.5 tonne 300HP RWD car, its not something you want to consider :scare::surrender:

Mixing also isnt anywhere near as much an issue with FWD cars which predominantly understeer off the road before anything bad happens. Its also no real problem in the Zed when its dry, its when you hit damp of wet tarmac that the car handles weirdly with mixed tyres.