Tyre Question - Worrying wear!

melville7

Hi guys, quick one for you...

Since I bought my car a year ago, its had 255/35/18 Toyo T1R's on the front and 265/35/18's on the back.

I get the feeling I've read somewhere that the original sizes are quite a bit smaller than this? Makes me wonder why I have wider ones. My Zed has the standard Nissan 18's on it rather than the RAYS or anything else.

The reason I ask is because I've just taken my offside front down to the local tyre place to have a puncture fixed and when they've had a look at it, there is a worryingly worn rim around the inside. I wouldn't say its merely uneven wear, it actually looks like a ridge of rubber missing the whole way round, as if something has been rubbing on it.

As a result of this, I'm in need of a new tyre which is incredibly annoying considering the amount of tread left on it. People seem to have mostly good things to say about the Vred's so I'll probably get one of them to replace it.

I just wondered if anyone else had had a similar sort of problem before I go putting a new tyre on to find the exact same happening again. Could there be anything catching the inside of the tyre? And if so, what?

I checked the other side and this has only happened on the offside.

Anyone with any knowledge they could impart on me, please feel free, it'd be much appreciated! :shrug:

Ah I see, can this "feathering" happen on just on tyre?

And also, would it result in such an extreme result? This wear is right at the top of the sidewall and is actually like a ridge the whole way round, not just a case of a worn edge with tread slowly getting thinner.

Basically looks like the tyre has been put on a lathe!

Correct tyres sizes would be a good start

Feathering/Cupping

These terms are used to refer to a specific type of undesirable front tyre wear on some 350zs. This problem occurred for many (but not a majority) of owners in the US and has been found in the UK as well.

The tyres wear unevenly on their outer (check) edge leading to roaring/rumbling/howling noise which gets worse as wear/mileage increases. Some owners have reported associated steering feel changes and even reduced front end grip.

Nissan GB now recognise that this condition can occur and will inspect tyres when the problem is reported. If they find that the problem is affecting a car, they will usually replace the tyres and reset the toe-in settings of the car to avoid the problem re-curring.

Replacement tyres have a different tread design and these have also been fitted as standard to new 350zs since some time in early 2004.