Putting plate on retention/selling car etc

fosk

Hey there, my situations a bit more complex then just thinking about selling my Z.

I've owned it since I think June 2010 (It's a GT 54 plate 2005), but in May I moved out to Canada to travel and my brother has the car now (he actually took it in April before I left), I transfered it over to him (as insurance was stupid otherwise).

Anyway, I'm coming home and I don't think I can afford to run the 350Z basically (so thinking of getting a beater while I get settled again), but it has my private plate on it with my name, so can I get him to put it on retention for me, any idea how long that takes? Also, can he put it on retention in my name, or as the cars in his name does it need to be his? Also, when I wanna put it on a car again at some point, that will be in my name, would that cause an issue?

I guess if I sell it, it's probably easiest to leave the plate on, but it won't be of interest to anyone else! It says my name with an 03 there, and I'm pretty sure that people with my first initial and surname are limited in the uk so don't think getting someone that matches the plate to buy the Z will happen haha.

Is the best place to sell still autotrader? I've never sold privately, always part exchanged before, but that isn't an option. I might get him to try to sell before I get back, even though its the wrong time of year I know, I love the car too :(

Thanks for any help/info offered.

Ahhh sweet! Thanks for the info! Suprised anyone is up! Haha, although, I am also surprised I'm up since its 1.30am here.

Will probably get him to do it so I can keep the plate (although I am not sure any car I get will be 03 or newer!).

I'm a bit unsure on when would be the best time to do it:-

a - Now as I want to sell it.

b - When its sold.

If its done now, he would need to declare it to the insurers I assume and when I did that after putting it on, I was charged an admin fee, but if its done when its sold, would it delay a sale, or could it be sold saying the plates not included and then sent off when its sold and they'll get a letter with the new plate details I assume?

If your definitely going to be selling, id get the number plate swapped back asap.

Autotrader is expensive to sell on and seems to mainly be car dealers. The best places for private sales are places like piston heads, or good old ebay. Ive sold my last few cars through ebay. With millions of people looking on there, you can be sure that whatever you put on there will fetch the market price (i.e. what someone is prepared to pay for it). You may get the odd time waster asking stupid questions, but all in all ive had some nice quick sales on there.