Advice please

fusion350z

After a relaxing new year I have found that my job is in the balance and even worse my partner has been made redundant. Having a new house and 2 new cars my pride and joy has to go. Any advice would be appreciated.

1. My Z is a July 06 non gt with 3700 miles on the clock. It is std apart from full paintshield front, matts and tonneau cover. How much is she worth?

2. Now the tricky one. The car is on PCP (never had finance before) and have found a settlement fee. Obviously I can not settle this so do I have no other option than return to dealer and sell them the car back? I would ideally like to sell private to ensure a fare price and a genuine buyer but assume this is not possible.

Guest prescience

What kind of deal is it:

- deposit, N monthly payments and final payment (and/or return)

- deposit, N monthly payments

- N monthly payments

Any credit you have been advance will almost certainly be regulated under the Consumer Credit Agreement which means that if you settle early you get a rebate on the interest.

You will almost certainly lose out either way (sorry), so you need to understand what you owe (by asking the dealer or finance company for a settlement figure) and proceeding from there.

As a general rule, if you want car finance, you should take out a Personal Loan yourself with a 3rd party to keep your options more under your control

Feel for you :(

Guest prescience

See here ...

http://www.askaprice.com/torque-article ... e&item=311

this implies you basically have to pay the settlement figure to buy your way out of the PCP Contract before the car can be sold and in turn implies that you have to 'bridge' the finance for the intervening time (and at a time when you most are not in a position to do that). I don't know enough to understand whether that is the case - but if it is, its a bloody risky type of way to finance a car if anything goes wrong. By taking it out, you're backing that your circumstances do not significantly change until the term expires

It could be worse, you could have PCH (Personal Contract Hire)

The other option you have is get a settlement figure and compare that to a price you can sensibly get for the car.

Then, take out a personal loan to pay off the finance and take title of the car, and then sell it privately (or even back to dealer), that way either breaking even or exceeding your loan value.

Guest prescience
The other option you have is get a settlement figure and compare that to a price you can sensibly get for the car.

Then, take out a personal loan to pay off the finance and take title of the car, and then sell it privately (or even back to dealer), that way either breaking even or exceeding your loan value.

That does increase you level of debt substantially in the 'bridge' period which when your job is at risk is a difficult one; also your deposit needs to be taken into account when calculating your 'profit'

That does increase you level of debt substantially in the 'bridge' period which when your job is at risk is a difficult one; also your deposit needs to be taken into account when calculating your 'profit'

Agreed, but it's just another option. :)