Plenum bolts were loose

Bry

Whilst cleaning under the bonnet I found that the center 6 Plenum bolts were all pretty much undone (they were so loose they could rattle around) Is this a common fault or more likely due to not being tighten up correctly. The car has a plenum spacer but as I've only had the car about a month I don't know who fitted the spacer and when?

They arent meant to be uber tight, but they certainly shouldnt rattle around. Basically, to tighten them without a torque wrench you want a socket driver with a handle like a screw driver and then do them up hand tight. You can snap them if done up with a normal ratchet if not using a torque wrench.

Thanks for the tips

NP - sure someone will be along with the right torque settings in a mo - but its off the bottom of most peoples torque wrenches anyway. Only the one I have for my MTB goes low enough, its barely hand tight. IIRC someone also suggested wrapping a rag around the handle to make sure you dont over tighten

Whilst on the subject of the Plenum, should the coolant valve be open or closed, currently mine is open ?

Open. Supprised they fitted it tbh, makes naff all difference in this country. Far better to have slightly higher intake temps all year than forget to re-open it when it gets cold and have the throttle freeze. IIRC you should have it open when the outside temp is less than 12C or something like that. Details will be on the Motordyne site.

In short - open ;)

OP, pay attention to the plenum bolts, I have a spacer on mine as well and the bolts are constantly loosening off after being torqued to proper specs.

Will watch them but I've used a dab of Thread lock as well so should be ok now. If they come loose again I'll put some spring washers on there, that should stop them working loose.

Will watch them but I've used a dab of Thread lock as well so should be ok now. If they come loose again I'll put some spring washers on there, that should stop them working loose.

Should have thread lock on anyway (Motordyne supply it with their spacer kits). If torqued correctly and a dab of thread lock you really should not be having any issue's. If iirc they should be torqued in 3 stages to approx 8.3 lb/ft or approx 11.29 nm. :)