HELP! EML light has come on whilst driving

HassanZ

Hi all,

I was just driving from Leicester to Nottingham on the M1 to pick up my new HTC Sensation B). I was giving it a bit of gas (around 3k-4k revs) to merge onto the motorway when I noticed my EML light trigger.

I have no access to a code reader and thought I'd see what the possibilities are before I get the car inspected.

I topped up my brake fluid earlier today but checked to see if it was leaking, it was on nice and tight.

I have a pair of Kinetix HFC's fitted, could this be the cause?

All input is very much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Hassan

Hassan,

You could try reading the code using the flashing CEL method or I've got the software/Cable to read it if you want ...

Let me know ..

:thumbs:

Hiran!

The flashing CEL method looks very confusing! I'll probably end up with the wrong diagnosis altogether :lol:

This software/cable, do I have to install it onto a laptop or something? I don't actually own a laptop, I'm a PC person :blush:

I would really appreciate it if you could help somehow though... :)

Isn't this the second warning light you've had in a week Hiran?

Suggest a wee visit to your local independent for proper diagnosis :thumbs:

Hassan you mean :lol:

Yes you're right... liking the attention to detail ;)

I was driving a few days ago and the traction and ABS lights triggered. A few members have suspected this was the brake fluid level which I have topped up.

Now the EML light has triggered when merging onto the M1...

I can't remember if the EML light triggered the last time also or not.

All the other warning lights went off as soon as I switched off and restarted the car.

The EML has stayed on permanently...

Hassan,

I have a laptop with the software already installed as I've used it on my Zed a few times ...

The battery on my laptop is pretty crap but it should last long enough to read the error code(s) and reset the light etc ...

:thumbs:

Bruv I really appreciate your help! :thumbs: When will you be free to link up? I can either come over to yours and sort it there or we can do it elsewhere at your convenience. :)

You're a life saver man!! :#1:

the manual code reader method is easy enough,

just make sure you have a stopwatch and use the video recorder on your nice new HTC so that you can re-watch a few times to check if youve read it right :thumbs:

That's a good idea, thanks for you advice!

I'll take up Narcotix's kind offer on using the code reader and we'll take it from there :thumbs:

I met Narcotix earlier who kindly plugged in his diagnostic equipment into my Zed. :clap::#1:

We retrieved an error code that states the following: 'P0420 - catalyst system effeciency below threshold bank 1'

Any ideas what this means?

Many thanks,

Hassan

That'll probably be your HFCs. Very common and should be nothing to worry about. If your HFC don't have extended sensor bungs/spacers fitted then its worth getting a pair and fitting them. Works 90% of the time.

Pm Zmanalex or look for his thread CEL spacers. :)

Glad I could help!

Hope it's not too much hassle to get sorted ..

Was good catching up as well man ... even got a wave from another Zed owner who's a member at my Gym ... LoL

Kinda like a Micro-meet ... LoL

:lol:

:) You're a credit to this forum mate :thumbs:

Yeah same here, lets hope it don't cost too much to sort!

HAHA Yeah man it was a laugh, very interesting chilling at that spot ;)

That guy got well excited, gave his engine a good rev too! You've just found yourself a new gym friend :lol:

I've just purchased a couple of lamda spacers off Alex, let's hope they sort the issue!

I will update you on the outcome :thumbs:

That'll probably be your HFCs. Very common and should be nothing to worry about. If your HFC don't have extended sensor bungs/spacers fitted then its worth getting a pair and fitting them. Works 90% of the time.

Pm Zmanalex or look for his thread CEL spacers. :)

I had a feeling it could be the HFCs as the error popped up when accelerating.

Thank you for your advice, I have just purchased a set off Alex. Let's hope this rectifies the issue!

I will keep this thread updated.

Many Thanks,

Hassan

• 2 weeks later...