Strange Noise

speedwell

Not a knock like worn suspension or exhaust catching,does not happen over individual humps or potholes...it only happens at low speeds over slightly ripply surfaces that set up a vibration-type noise reminiscent of Rolf Harris's wobble board (if you're old enough to remember that :) ).

Not clear whether from the back or front and I've removed boot board and spare wheel and it's still there.The front under-tray is main suspect,some fixings missing...suppose I need to get it up on a ramp and do a total check on underside,unless anyone's got a better idea?

Ok,so no ideas....so I promise,for the record,to come back and let you know when I do track down the cause.

From your description in your original post it could be numerous issues causing your noise and any suggestions would purely be guesswork and could be misleading.

Like you suggest, best to get it on a ramp and have a good poke around.

Also if you use the search button then you should find quite a few pointers :thumbs:

Please do post up your findings as it may help others in the future with a similar noise. :thumbs:

Alex. :)

• 1 month later...

A few weeks on...

Front under-tray and wheel arch liners were a bit loose and there were missing fittings,BUT now sorted and secured and NO,noise still there :thumbdown:

Next,found that air filter housing was not secure so was knocking against engine.This was removed and underneath it has two pegs that seat down into holes in the chassis...the problem was that the two holes were missing their rubber grommets so that the housing pegs could not hold it steady and stop it rattling (thanks a lot previous so called Nissan technician :thumbdown: )...so suitable grommets were found then the housing refitted.

Partial success :) noises had definitely reduced and no noise any longer from front of car but ,sadly,still noise from back.

Have had one good look underneath but can find nothing obviously loose or worn (e.g. drop links).

So,the search continues!!!...I'll report back.