Recalibrating the gear gate

coldel

Just thought I would drop a little guide on here, couldn't find one already - doesn't mean it doesn't exist just means I am rubbish at searching.

Anyway, had the clutch changed on the car recently and found that it was suddenly quite tricky to find gears, especially 5th and 6th. What had happened was that when put back together the metal 'gear gate' that surrounds the stick was out of line with the stick. So the gate needed resetting. Took me 10 minutes to do this but is a major improvement, would suggest anyone who when they pull their stick fully to the right and push up or down do not find 5th and 6th cleanly have a go.

1] Remove shift knob (be careful to retain the brass coloured ring that sits inside it).

2] Remove the trim panel by using a screw driver/ideally trim tool around the edges popping it up on each side.

3] Once trim panel is loose in order to move it completely out of the way you must disconnect the ribbon connected to the air con unit in the panel.

4] Now with the trim and knob off take off the upper boot, it should slide straight off.

5] You will now see 4 bolts connecting the lower boot. take those out and set the lower boot and bolts together aside.

6] You will see 3 bolts connecting the shifter plate to the transmission. Loosen the bolts about halfway off, there is no need to take them completely off.

7] Move the shifter into the 6th gear position, make the notch sticking out of the shifter level with the shifter plate "guide" by slightly pushing down on the plate, move the shifter plate (the plate with the 3 bolts) accordingly to make sure the "guide" on the plate is touching the shifter. Once that is accomplished, at the same time tighten the bolt at the right rear on the plate (to keep it in place) - think I have made this sound more complicated than it is, when you try it will be very apparent how it all moves and lines up!

8] Now move the shifter into the 5th gear position and align the shifter notch with the plate like i explained in step seven. When it is aligned and touching then tighten the bolt at the top of the guide plate.

9] Tighten the left bolt now and replace all the removed parts

The other gears should all line up now as well. Since doing this gear changing has become much smoother.