Flat sub in OEM position...

slimjim

A jl 10w3v3 makes everything rattle like hell around there. I'd put it somewhere further back tbh where there's less trim to rattle.

Though, wickedcas do make an expensive box for the sub in that location.

http://www.wickedcas.com/product.php?pr ... t=8&page=1

bugger... probably need to plaster everywhere with dynomat then?

Seen this... bit cheaper than the wickedcas...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nissan-350z-Coupe ... 54351#shId

DBlock... great, you are here :)

I am trying to decide which route to go down to be honest.

I REALLY want a stealth install. Which is why I want the sub to go into the same place it is now. but it is looking like it might be an idea for me to have a "removable" one in the rear corner of the boot, for when I want to put lots of stuff in the car and not have the bass.

Am I being STUPID even trying to keep it stealth with everything in the same place?

If I was to go in the same place as now... Infinite Baffle would be best... but might rattle the hell our of the plastic?

I agree stealth for the win. I went with the under strut box because of the space. All 3 amps are where the old sub is.

I think if you plan everything right you can get it in the orginal location. Obviously a custom made box is needed and a sub that works with about 0.3cuft or less volume in an enclosure that is.

IMO IB is only good if you have no other options. Ivr heard some decent IB but they where expensive and a £100 sub and box sounded just as good if not better. As for the plastic rattling try to sound deaden the inside of the bit where the Bose sub goes. But really if you have it in the boot or behind you it will rattle a bit anyway.

Yeah, I saw the Ikarus install... looks like he only lives 30 miles from me... which might be good if he is willing to help me :)

My problem is, when I think stealth, I think OEM. Not JUST out of sight. And on top of that, the ability to go back to standard if I need to.

I was thinking of using the other side/glove box for the amps, as I don't really use it.

but then I spotted some guys had attached them to the bottom of the seats?!?! Is that something that is possible to do/a good idea?

But I DO use the boot... so I would want to try to keep away from using any of the space in the boot.

Unless I suppose I could loose the spare and carry spray/foam for a puncture....

So many decisions...

DBlock... great, you are here :)

I am trying to decide which route to go down to be honest.

I REALLY want a stealth install. Which is why I want the sub to go into the same place it is now. but it is looking like it might be an idea for me to have a "removable" one in the rear corner of the boot, for when I want to put lots of stuff in the car and not have the bass.

Am I being STUPID even trying to keep it stealth with everything in the same place?

If I was to go in the same place as now... Infinite Baffle would be best... but might rattle the hell our of the plastic?

There is a *lot* to rattle in there (also the metal inside seems to rattle other bits of trim) and you'll have to rip out the bose to fit another sub there, it's not just the actual sub but the amp too. Doesn't ikarus also have a sub where the spare goes?

What about something like the jl stealthbox? http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_stea ... it_id=1416

I think it would definitely help with rattles/more punchy sound dynamatting/putting some MLV/CCF in where the existing bose is if you were to put another sub in there which actually does more than fall to bits :p

The ebay enclosure you found, yeah I think it's a little bit too small in terms of volume for most subs like the JL10w3v3 and definitely too small for the 13tw5.

Thing is, with a box under the strut bar, you loose half the boot!

Ikarus' install has one in each bin and one in the spare wheel too. :scare:

Yeah, that and it costs £800 for that stealthbox :lol: I like the sub as it is in the bose compartment (I can live with the rattles when it's turned up), but maybe I could have another in the passenger glovebox :lol:

One jl10w3v3 in there is plenty enough for me tbh. Unless you're listening to something like lil' jon and the ying yang twins normally, I don't think you want that much bass.

Above the jl10, i'd only want a 13w7 and price for me it just wouldn't be worth it.

This guys video is better than the one I've taken :lol:

Here's mine:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v236/ ... EO0001.mp4

Nope.... Will be mostly metal and classic rock.

Pink Floyd, Led Zepelin etc....

Prefer a warm sound too....last time I bought speakers it was a LONG time ago and my fav were Rainbow components. Had a few JL subs too which I do rate.

Might just take my sub section apart and see what there is. :)

Any other tips other than the great ones so far? :thumbs:

Nope.... Will be mostly metal and classic rock.

Pink Floyd, Led Zepelin etc....

Prefer a warm sound too....last time I bought speakers it was a LONG time ago and my fav were Rainbow components. Had a few JL subs too which I do rate.

Might just take my sub section apart and see what there is. :)

Any other tips other than the great ones so far? :thumbs:

Then you'll have it turned down pretty much all the way :p:lol:

I loved the hertz mlk 165's, but I think they're too deep. I was considering some audison voce av k6's, never got a chance to audition them though, before I ended up with what I have now (hertz hsk 165's). Both of them are warm sounding (audison from what i've read) imho :thumbs:

at least you can see yours is stealth B)

Any more images? Build pics?

No build pics but some pics of cover on/off:

Felt pads stop the cover from vibrating, put some grease around where the sub box touches the metal cover to stop it vibrating :thumbs:

That is pretty much EXACTLY the kind of thing I am after....

What is the setup then? Did YOU make the box? where are your amps... and what head-unit did you use?

I really wanted to keep the standard HU... but that is starting to look like a real headache :(

That is pretty much EXACTLY the kind of thing I am after....

What is the setup then? Did YOU make the box? where are your amps... and what head-unit did you use?

I really wanted to keep the standard HU... but that is starting to look like a real headache :(

The JL10w3v3 is in an mdf box which is somewhere posted up in a cad drawing here, I had help from family to get the box made, it's running off an alpine mrp500 in 2 ohms @500w which is also hidden back there as well as the other amp for the front components which sit in spacers in the doors.

Head unit is a pioner avh3100dvd. I don't know why you'd want to keep the standard HU, it's a piece of junk :lol: I hated the way it looked, that it couldn't play mp3s, cd was useless, just garbage imho :lol: Double din suits the area, could even get one without buttons just a wider screen if you want even more subtle.

Starting to thing I should bin the Standard HU...

I could get a replacement/refurb for £270 ... but I think for a little more I could get a GREAT HU that would look the biz and do all the bluetooth, iPod linking stuff I want. As well as linking to the wheel controls (If I get a conversion harness thingy)

What kind of price do you think I could get a 10w3v3 for?

Pretty sure I can build a sub box, I made some custom fiberglass ones for my old DelSol once which was a b1tch, pretty sure I can manage and easy MDF one :)

Oh... any idea where the designs are? Can't see any on here... :(

Starting to thing I should bin the Standard HU...

I could get a replacement/refurb for £270 ... but I think for a little more I could get a GREAT HU that would look the biz and do all the bluetooth, iPod linking stuff I want. As well as linking to the wheel controls (If I get a conversion harness thingy)

What kind of price do you think I could get a 10w3v3 for?

Pretty sure I can build a sub box, I made some custom fiberglass ones for my old DelSol once which was a b1tch, pretty sure I can manage and easy MDF one :)

Oh... any idea where the designs are? Can't see any on here... :(

Exactly :thumbs:

I don't remember how much I got my 10w3v3 for but cad have one here for £189:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/jl-audio-10w3v3-2.html

If you could do it in fiberglass you'd get more volume inside obviously, could maybe even fit something bigger in :lol:

Just remembered, I also pointed this out to dave :thumbs:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28131

That is quality!

350Box.jpg

Think I will have a mooch about on eBay, see if I can find one of those subs cheap :thumbs:

Will also look for an amp. Anything other than the mrp500 you recommend? Any spec I should look for?

That is quality!

350Box.jpg

Think I will have a mooch about on eBay, see if I can find one of those subs cheap :thumbs:

Will also look for an amp. Anything other than the mrp500 you recommend? Any spec I should look for?

I think so long as it's got enough power for the sub you'll be fine. IIRC 500w was the max recommended for the jl10w3v3.

Anything as an alternative for the jl10w3v3?

Can't find a cheap on second hand anywhere.... anything else you recommend?

Might just have to shell out for a new one.

you want to be looking for what space the box is internally and then match a sub to that. :thumbs: