Rattling / grinding noise [solved]...

AFTERSHOX

Another thread to discuss rattling / grinding:-

So, I've had my Z since Jan 2011, and experienced a strange / rattling noise - which *luckily* I could reproduce; and is now fixed / gone forever.

I've seen quite a few threads on this, and wanted to share my own views on this; and more importantly - give you something else to check / diagnose / discuss with your mechanic.

From a cold start, the rattling noise was louder, as the engine warmed - the rattling noise was faint, but still audible.

Accelerating to around 2500 - 3000rpm, and then 'backing off the pedal' / coasting (in gear) would cause the noise.

Noise was present from idle --> 2500 rpm / coasting back below 2500 rpm

My local Nissan dealer / mechanics *god bless them*; did a sterling job of finding the problem; after checking all of the usual suspects like the heat shields etc. It was none of these *typical 350z* problems;

The actual fault was related to the VVT control solenoid (there are two); which had 'gunged up'; after a thorough clean / flush out - hey presto *noise was gone*

So, at the next service - I'm going to get them to do a full engine flush - just to make sure everything remains clean and gunk free.

Hope this post helps at least one other person who has this noise, and is going insane !!!!

: sanity restored :

Mark (aka AFTERSHOX)