Chipped windscreen advice

AndyC

ok folks could do with a bit of advice please. Having never had the misfortune to have a chipped windscreen I don't know a great deal about it, but this morning a 4x4 kicked up the most almighty stone straight into my screen which has left a bleeding big chip.

Its on the passenger side so not in my line of sight, is it repairable or is it a replacement job do you reckon?

I seem to remember something in my insurance for windscreen cover, does this generally cover for things like this?

Cheers in advance for the help :teeth:

Auto Glass repair it now and apparently you don't have to pay the excess with most insurers as it's way less than the windscreen cost. So costs you nothing. IIRC, their advert just says to call them, they give you the details and contact your insurance company for you, and come to your work to do it! :thumbs::)

Before you do........

I thought the same with my insurance :dry:. They do pay out and prefer the chip jell stuff autoglass use (should cost @£60). Autoglass told me not to worry as wouldn't class as a claim :D. At the time I was with Norwich Union, and they didn't get me to pay the excess (as it would of paid for all the work!) but at the end of my time with them I switched and they sent my NCD details to the next insurer (Admiral) with my insurance caim for the windscreen :rant:!!. Luckily Admiral kept their original quote to me as they normally do not class it as a claim (as such). But beware some do!

Wish I got the whole thing done now to spite Norwich Union!! :teeth:

Cool, cheers guys. The insurance route isn't too much of a concern for me as I've got protected no claims. Looks like its a phone call then, good to know thats its an easy fix by the sounds of things though.

Nice one all :thumbs:

Stick a bit of tape on it!

Gel repairs are only effective if the chip is small. If you don't cover it it will; fill up with crap and slowly get bigger so in the end you might need a new screen.

Not necessarily slowly..... German autobahn, stone gets kicked up which scared the hell out of me because I saw it coming straight towards my head... cool me thinks, that was lucky, only a really small chip. Yeah right... imagine my surprise when after accelerating up to about 220kph the damn screen cracked from my 'small chip' right across the passenger side :wacko:

If your insurance will cover it, I'd just get it replaced.

Not necessarily slowly..... German autobahn, stone gets kicked up which scared the hell out of me because I saw it coming straight towards my head... cool me thinks, that was lucky, only a really small chip. Yeah right... imagine my surprise when after accelerating up to about 220kph the damn screen cracked from my 'small chip' right across the passenger side :wacko:

If your insurance will cover it, I'd just get it replaced.

Jeeez, bet that was a bit worrying! Thanks for that Swiss, I'll get onto it :thumbs: