Fault Codes

Sparkie

Is there any way of determining the cause other than taking it to the dealer and plugging it into a diagnostic tool?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Is there any way of determining the cause other than taking it to the dealer and plugging it into a diagnostic tool?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know

you can by an OBD2 scan tool to read your own codes. Prices range from 30-500$ depending on the features. Some you can hook up to your laptop.

I am looking at getting the digimoto one for about 100$. You can read all the car sensors, pull codes, and reset the codes.

• 1 month later...

There is a method of viewing the fault codes without any tools, I'd have to check the service manual, but it has to do with depressing the accelerator pedal x times, waiting x seconds, then picking your nose for a bit and some flashing dashboard lights...

Non Nissan OBD II scan tools only read out fault codes which are Emission related.

For detailed trouble diagnosis the CONSULT II special tool is required.

Nissan & Renault dealers have this CONSULT II diagnosis tools.

To be more specific..................next generation is coming up !

CONSULT III / NGDS (Next Generation Diagnostic System) – This is an all new unit being developed by Nissan, which will replace CONSULT II for diagnosing major vehicle systems including engine, automatic transmission, ABS, CAN, cruise control, air bag, traction control, in-vehicle multiplex system and smart entrance control unit.

Price is TBD

Target date for shipment is fourth quarter of CY05.

SUMMARY

Should there be any additional questions, please contact your DPSM.

PARTS and SERVICE OPERATIONS

NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC.

I have an ODBII to serial cable and the software for diagnosing my VW. I could try it on the Z, but would preffer to have the corect software before I do! LOL.

I suppose if I can get a hold of a copy of the software (which needs to run on xp) I could try cabling up the Z and see what happens.

Where is the ODBII port on the Z anyway?