Petty Vandalism - Any Advice ?

Grumpy Griff

Like a few people I've read on here, my 350Z has been the victim of mindless petty vandalism from time to time, presumably by drunken mindelss yobs or thieving little oiks :rant:

I've had my wing mirror snapped off twice, countless sets of tyre valve caps nicked and now 3 of the badges stolen (complete with screwdriver/penknife gouges where they prised the badges off) just a couple of nights ago. :angry:

Unfortunately I don't have a driveway so have to park my car on the road outside the back of my house. It's relatively quiet most of the time but is also quite a regular shortcut through to a housing estate nearby for people returning in the late/early hours after pubbing/clubbing in town. I do park as near to my house and as near as possible to a street light too.

I am now going to install a motion detecting security light shining from my back fence onto the area I usually park my car in to try and put some people off.

Advice I had from police/community officer is that CCTV is uselss unless you actually know who it is and it can then be used to confirm a suspect. But it's not good or clear enough if you don't have an idea who it is (also it's pretty expensive !!!). So not much use really. But might think about a dummy camera maybe ?

Police suggested parking somewhere else (why should I park somewhere away from my house and then I would worry about it more anyway) or a cover (which I personally think would attract more unwanted attention than help - also might scratch car with continued use - also a pain in the 'arris).

Just wondered if anyone has any good reasonable ideas to try and avoid or minimise these petty vandalism problems.

I am also aware that confronting the people doing this, if (and that's a big if) I could actually catch them at it, may actually make things worse and it could snowball into more dangerous acts (letting down/punturing tyres) or worse vandalism (keying paintwork, smashing windows etc.) or could also escalate into damage to my house as they know where I live, but I won't necessarily actually find out who they are or where they live. Giving them a good clip round the lughole may make me feel better in the short run but could lead to a lot worse given the way people are these days !!!

So any useful, reasonable deterrant type ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers

This is always a really tough call, i know of someone of whome got to the point they sat with a baseball bat for the b@stards, after week after week of the person having their car trampled all over, jumped on, keyed, windows cracked - only to beat the crap out of them, and then find out they were a minor. Needless to say the story didnt end that well from what i remember.....

From that, ive always thought especially when you dont want crap on your own doorstep, try out every other method first.

I think that the motion sensor light is a very good idea, and should help put of the average scumbag - usually these things are done for no rhyme or reason, and something like that may even put them off.

the only other thing that springs to mind is an uprated alarm - ie a proximity style one - but then, the downside to that is that if set to a sensitivity thats too high.... it becomes a game.

Live with it and do nothing.

I have exactly the same situation - various cars keyed etc. and I've been run over in the street and I performed a "citizen's arrest" on someone else damaging my car

The choices are:

1 - Do nothing.

2 - Rent a garage for £60 a month, £720 pa. None available at present.

3 - Move house - £40,000 cost at least to get a similar house near me in a good road with a garage.

This isn't a Ferrari forum. We own pretty cheap Jap cars with easily available cheap parts and repairs. The money you save on not doing anything you can spend IF something happens to your car. :thumbs:

Live with it and do nothing.

I have exactly the same situation - various cars keyed etc. and I've been run over in the street and I performed a "citizen's arrest" on someone else damaging my car

The choices are:

1 - Do nothing.

2 - Rent a garage for £60 a month, £720 pa. None available at present.

3 - Move house - £40,000 cost at least to get a similar house near me in a good road with a garage.

This isn't a Ferrari forum. We own pretty cheap Jap cars with easily available cheap parts and repairs. The money you save on not doing anything you can spend IF something happens to your car. :thumbs:

Surely it's worth trying out a few deterrant type actions to at least try and minimise the problem ?

Why should we put up with it even if we don't own ferrari level cars - it's still out of order, no matter how much the car costs !!!

one thing I would say is never post about in on a public forum

All I wanted was reasonable advice on practical deterrant type actions I can take, I don't intend any retribution action as I think this is something that could easily spiral out of control and potentially lead to worse problems.

Hence I don't really see any problems posting this on a public forum.

Other Z owners must have come across this before and I would just appreciate any reasonable advice as they might come up with something I might not have thought of so far.

Anyway, appreciate any advice given - thanks guys :thumbs:

Like a few people I've read on here, my 350Z has been the victim of mindless petty vandalism from time to time, presumably by drunken mindelss yobs or thieving little oiks :rant:

I've had my wing mirror snapped off twice, countless sets of tyre valve caps nicked and now 3 of the badges stolen (complete with screwdriver/penknife gouges where they prised the badges off) just a couple of nights ago. :angry:

Unfortunately I don't have a driveway so have to park my car on the road outside the back of my house. It's relatively quiet most of the time but is also quite a regular shortcut through to a housing estate nearby for people returning in the late/early hours after pubbing/clubbing in town. I do park as near to my house and as near as possible to a street light too.

I am now going to install a motion detecting security light shining from my back fence onto the area I usually park my car in to try and put some people off.

Advice I had from police/community officer is that CCTV is uselss unless you actually know who it is and it can then be used to confirm a suspect. But it's not good or clear enough if you don't have an idea who it is (also it's pretty expensive !!!). So not much use really. But might think about a dummy camera maybe ?

Police suggested parking somewhere else (why should I park somewhere away from my house and then I would worry about it more anyway) or a cover (which I personally think would attract more unwanted attention than help - also might scratch car with continued use - also a pain in the 'arris).

Just wondered if anyone has any good reasonable ideas to try and avoid or minimise these petty vandalism problems.

I am also aware that confronting the people doing this, if (and that's a big if) I could actually catch them at it, may actually make things worse and it could snowball into more dangerous acts (letting down/punturing tyres) or worse vandalism (keying paintwork, smashing windows etc.) or could also escalate into damage to my house as they know where I live, but I won't necessarily actually find out who they are or where they live. Giving them a good clip round the lughole may make me feel better in the short run but could lead to a lot worse given the way people are these days !!!

So any useful, reasonable deterrant type ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Find out who they are and return the favour (discretly), Its only my opinion! Would rather loss my pride and joy than let someone off with that kind of nonsence!