Bonnet Dampers Fitted

Peter10

Well I managed to get hold of some bonnet dampers free from someone I know from a local parts shop who is selling up and moving abroad. They are the same as the ones sold all over eBay (in fact I think he sold/sells a lot of them on eBay too).

Easy job, they are a little shorter than I would prefer, but I can mess around with them and get the bonnet open a bit more. Still opens enough to do the basics which is all I need.

Not found a guide for these, it's an easy job for for those who are interested:

Tools needed:

10mm spanner/socket

12mm spanner/long socket

Flat screwdriver

Firstly, I took off the trim, you have to take out the trim clips which pop open with a screwdriver and then pull out.

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

Then, you need to install the bracket provided in the kit. Pretty straight forward job to do, just whip out the bolt and voilà. Just be careful when nipping up the bolt as the bracket and twist into the paintwork. The bracket can be slide around for the best position, keep it as far away from the paint work as possible, otherwise you can see it when the bonnet is shut, which I found out after doing the job and it really didn't look good.

For info, you need to use the hole pretty much opposite the battery:

IMG_0451.jpg

Now for the bonnet attachment. You need to take off the nut which attaches the bonnet to the hinge. No picture, but it needs to be the lower of the two bolts. I used a couple of washers here, simply to give it that little more height when the bonnet is open.

Connect the damper to the bracket on the wing of the car using the retaining pin to lock it into place. I did this on both sides and then connect the two on the bonnet. Attach retaining pins and done.

Work.jpg

No finished pictures :lol: I lost about an inch of height in the bonnet opening, but much prefer it and I find you don't need to drop the bonnet from as high to shut it.

Hmm, the car needs a wash too :p While I was under the bonnet I literally pulled out a whole pigeon's worth of feathers from the radiator :lol:.

EDIT: Damn :doh:, this was supposed to go into the guides section.