HELP! How do I drive now? With my new brakes!

slimjim

WOO HOO!!! :yahoo:

Thanks to :pmzmanalex: I now have new discs and pads all round!

DBA 4000 6x6 wiper slots

DS2500

:cloud9:

BB1.jpg

SO .... how do I drive her now to get the most out of them? :shrug:

She is a weekend girl, but I have to drive to Reading (about 200 miles) on Monday.

I can drive her before then... so what do I need to do to be sure I bed in the brake properly?

Cheers peeps.... :thumbs:

I would do 10x 50 to 30 light pressure, then 2 min drive @60mph without touching the brakes, then 10x 70 to 40 med pressure, then 2 min drive again, then 90 to 40 practically standing on the pedal. Always works for me regardless of brake setup, and is almost bang-on what AP say IIRC.

BUGGER....

Fitted them all ready before washing them... :bangin:

Anyone know what I should do? Wash them NOW? While they are on? :headhurt:

You will find it difficult to clean them on the car as there is limited access to the rear of the brake disc and a risk of contaminating the pads, if you have not done so already. Discs always come with temporary surface protection as they are steel and will begin to rust at the first mention of moisture (like five minutes after you have washed the car). This is okay in normal use as regular driving will clean up the surface again, but if you are a manufacturer trying to sell brake discs, they don't want a load of inexperienced diy mechanics sending them back because they are 'rusty'. Hence the light oiling, and cleaning instructions.

You really need to get them off and do it properly, and the pads if you have touched the pedal causing contact. Washing is only part of it, the protection will be oil based, hence the need for soap and brake cleaner. I have used white spirit before. :thumbs:

You MUST wash the discs before any kind of braking

Otherwise you will contaminate the pads, just make sue you get rid of the oily film on both sides

You might beable to do it while they are on the car, as long as you can rotate the discs, and the pads arnt touching them, but ideally you may have to take the discs off.

I used methylated spirits, white spirit and brake cleaner are all good

you just need to get rid of the oily film, if the oily film then transferred onto your pads, you arnt getting the full use of your pads.

As for bedding in

The DS2500 dont need bedding in, as they are ready to go straight out the box (prebedded)

However because you have new discs too, you will have to follow the bedding in precedure as in the guide above...