new brakes and potential problem

austin

Hey guys,

just had a first drive since had new discs and pads fitted and I can't help but thinking something's wrong. There's no vibration under braking or otherwise, but now and then I could hear quite loud sound like quick knocking? Hard to describe, but it sort of resembled the sound of a flat tyre i guess. I'm quite worried as I have no clue what that might be - I checked wheel nuts and caliper bolts are tight to manufacture's torque setting. Any advise will be much appreciated,

cheers

aus

P.S. Two yellowstuff pads came with these metal 'nipples' on one side, should these be inner or outer side of caliper?

I think its the pads chattering within the caliper , slowly reverse and apply brakes, you should hear a "clack" noise if so then thats what the problem is. It is the same on mine.

Very annoying but something you learn to l ive with i guess :blush:

The metal "nipples" are wear indicators, and does not matter if on inside or out.

I think its the pads chattering within the caliper , slowly reverse and apply brakes, you should hear a "clack" noise if so then thats what the problem is. It is the same on mine.

Very annoying but something you learn to l ive with i guess :blush:

The metal "nipples" are wear indicators, and does not matter if on inside or out.

this is exactly what i thought! Haven't had it on

my zed but did have it with my old ford puma and my girlfriends punto had the same thing. Think it just depends on what pads are fitted.

Puma only did it after a pad change and the punto did it from when it was bought (used) but dealer eventually sorted it!

I found it really irritating but don't think its anything to worry about!

Thanks gents. It may have resolved itself as after driving for a bit today i can no longer hear said sound. On top of that just had MOT done and except for almost illegal rears :blush: everything is ace. Think I'll go do Alex's bed-in procedure tonight, however living in London I'll wait until 2-3am so i can find a quiet a-road haha

aus