Stuck Brakes?

charrold80

Hello again,

This is another problem in addition to my erratic idle which I already posted.

I can't think that they are related although I'm not very technical................

I've had on occasion had a sticky handbrake when the Z has been parked up for a while. Nothing too out of the ordinary with that. Until today.

The Z had been parked up for almost 5 weeks.

Got in, started up, handbrake off.......going nowhere. After applying quite a bit of power (more than is usually needed when the handbrake is a bit sticky), a bit of a bang and creak and away I went. All good.

Here's the problem....

Now when I brake, I get a juddering along with a bumping noise that sounds like I'm driving over rumble strips. The noise varies with my speed, so is obviously related to the wheels turning. Seems like it is from the rear passenger side, but hard to tell.

As far as I know the handbrake is a seperate system to the normal brakes? I don't see how the sticky handbrake could have affected the normal brakes. Unless the normal brakes were stuck also (maybe explaining why it seemed more 'stuck' than other occasions) and my brute force approach to it has broken something.

Any ideas?

Sounds like your pads were actually stuck and not the handbrake. If your leaving the car for long periods of time you should always leave the handbrake off.

Go and find a big open road and get your brakes upto temp as if you were bedding pads in. You may also have a sticky piston in the calipers but more than likely you have pad material stuck on the disk.