Bose Ipod mod - with power (again)

Mickeywheelspin

Hi all,

From a quick search I can see that this has been done to death on this forum so apologies for banging on about the ipod mod again, but I wanted a second opinion on a variation on the standard Bose iPod mod. At the moment I have a dock that was wired in by the p/o and I cant make it work for love nor money so I'm planning on pulling the stereo and having a go myself.

Essentially, I'm trying to find a way of charging the iPhone / iPod as well as piggybacking it onto the tape input. I'm planning on using one of these leads...

http://www.dvbcaraudio.co.uk/ipod-phono ... -4087.html

Has anyone purchased one of these before?? It looks to have L&R audio plus power and ground without having any means of regulating the power. I've been bitten before with a charging FM transmitter that worked fine with an ipod but blew up two iphones before it hit the bottom of the bin so I dont want to just connect it the the stereo switched 12V supply without a means of regulating the power. Figured I'd wire the power and earth leads into a USB plug ...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/usb-1.1-plugs-22681

Then plug that into a standard car charger (the smaller the better - hopefully I can find somewhere in the bulkhead to stash it)....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Griffin-GC23095 ... 573&sr=1-1

Then solder leads to the charger, hook that into the wiring loom and insulate it to stop it earthing.

Hopefully this'll give me connections to the stereo and a regulated power supply so my iPhone will be safe and sound.

Thoughts??

Mike

sounds ok to me from what i understand you are doing. You have the main one I always shout about with this sorted, the 12V issue. as long as its regulated down to whatever the Ipod runs at you're fine.

If i were doing it i'd probably get hold of an Ipod cig lighter socket charger, open it up and wire that in direct to the cig socket harness as you 100% know its got the right stuff you need going from 12V to ?V

sounds ok to me from what i understand you are doing. You have the main one I always shout about with this sorted, the 12V issue. as long as its regulated down to whatever the Ipod runs at you're fine.

If i were doing it i'd probably get hold of an Ipod cig lighter socket charger, open it up and wire that in direct to the cig socket harness as you 100% know its got the right stuff you need going from 12V to ?V

USB runs at 5V and considering the ipod charges directly from USB without the need for any sort of transformer, I assume you'd need 5V.

Maybe your best bet would be to buy one of those cigarette USB chargers, dismantle it and then use the guts of it to feed power to the ipod.

USB runs at 5V and considering the ipod charges directly from USB without the need for any sort of transformer, I assume you'd need 5V.

Maybe your best bet would be to buy one of those cigarette USB chargers, dismantle it and then use the guts of it to feed power to the ipod.

yes i was going to say 5V but i dont have an ipod to check.

is there an echo ;):lol:

Hi, I'm about to do this also.

I have done the Bose mod with a 3.5mm jack plug.

Am going to buy the same lead you've shown, wire the power to a hacked USB lead, install a 12v cig lighter socket behind the dash and plug usb in for power then plug the two RCA's into this, which in turn plugs into the USB hack.

*should* work :thumbs:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-5mm-Stereo-Jack ... 588ba552f3

Probably not going to get it done within next couple of weeks so you'll prob have it done before me.

I had thought about finding the lighter socket supply but didn't fancy stripping out too much of the dash to find the cable - I'll try the switched 12V to the stereo and see how I get on.

It might be worth dismantling the USB adapter - I was just a little nervous of soldering to something that small but it would be far neater and only costs a tenner or so if it goes wrong.

Cheers guys, I'll let you know how I get on - might not be for a couple of weeks tho.

I had thought about finding the lighter socket supply but didn't fancy stripping out too much of the dash to find the cable - I'll try the switched 12V to the stereo and see how I get on.

It might be worth dismantling the USB adapter - I was just a little nervous of soldering to something that small but it would be far neater and only costs a tenner or so if it goes wrong.

Cheers guys, I'll let you know how I get on - might not be for a couple of weeks tho.

I was planning on buying a 12v socket for a few quid, wire this into the stereo supply then plug the usb adaptor in.... that way the only soldering you need to do is by cutting the lead and soldering or crimping the power to the new ipod phono lead....... almost certain this will be fine off stereo supply (someone correct me if I'm wrong) .. the ipod charger is only 2.1A the new 12v socket and usb adaptor would be behind the dash (taped up to prevent it coming unplugged)

Ok it's not the most ideal solution but it's discreet and should leave just a short bit of lead with ipod plug coming out the dash....

12V plug should definitely work - I was just trying to minimise the number of components.

Interesting question Husky.... I dont know - had assumed 12V. Even if it is 5V I'd rather wire in an iPhone charger as I've learnt from experience that iPhones dont have a protective fuse, they just fry if they they are overloaded. I wouldn't be sure of the voltage tolerance of the stereo supply anyway and the stereo may be more tolerant of overvoltage than the phone.

12V plug should definitely work - I was just trying to minimise the number of components.

Interesting question Husky.... I dont know - had assumed 12V. Even if it is 5V I'd rather wire in an iPhone charger as I've learnt from experience that iPhones dont have a protective fuse, they just fry if they they are overloaded. I wouldn't be sure of the voltage tolerance of the stereo supply anyway and the stereo may be more tolerant of overvoltage than the phone.

agreed, i wouldnt use it straight even if it is 5V :)

is there an echo ;):lol:

lol sorry Husky I obviously didn't read your post properly! Seems to be the way to go; they're so cheap I would just do that rather than risking anything and you could put it all inside a box to keep everything neat.

As a side-note, I reckon this issue has come about due to some changes by Apple to the charging circuitry. I reckon early iPods could take 12V, I have found something on the web previously that states that Apple's technical documents refer to 12V for the charging circuit. So, I think at one point you could run 5V - 12V without an issue, then somewhere along the way they just figured it'd be easier if the power regulation was done on the charger side rather than in the ipod/iphone itself - hence the reason why some people have reported 12v runs just fine.

Chris.