airbag warning light comes on and possible pinking

Nolan

Hi guys,

I've had my 350z stood at my parents gaff for the last few weeks while i've been away, i came to drive it back yesterday and mid way on my drive home around 70miles the airbag warning light came on, i'm booking it into the local nissan garage for tomorrow but if anyone has any thoughts on what it could be always appreciated.

Also on the drive i also noticed what i can only think of as pinking but maybe different. Example - If i've accelerated to whatever speed and just cruise and take my foot off the accelerator thats a little jolt after half a second as in the car knows it should be easing off a bit, also the same then is when i put my foot back on the acc there is a little jolt again when it knows it is accelerating again (this is not when i'm putting any real power on just day to day driving.)

Just for a bit for information the revs are idling at 1,500, when i was slowing from second and dropping into neautral the revs would kick from 1.5k to 2k twice before idling again.

If anyone has any thoughts i'd appreciate it, i'd like to go into the garage knowing a little more :)

Hi guys,

I've had my 350z stood at my parents gaff for the last few weeks while i've been away, i came to drive it back yesterday and mid way on my drive home around 70miles the airbag warning light came on, i'm booking it into the local nissan garage for tomorrow but if anyone has any thoughts on what it could be always appreciated.

Also on the drive i also noticed what i can only think of as pinking but maybe different. Example - If i've accelerated to whatever speed and just cruise and take my foot off the accelerator thats a little jolt after half a second as in the car knows it should be easing off a bit, also the same then is when i put my foot back on the acc there is a little jolt again when it knows it is accelerating again (this is not when i'm putting any real power on just day to day driving.)

Just for a bit for information the revs are idling at 1,500, when i was slowing from second and dropping into neautral the revs would kick from 1.5k to 2k twice before idling again.

If anyone has any thoughts i'd appreciate it, i'd like to go into the garage knowing a little more :)

For the Airbag lights - check all the wiring and connections around and under the seats give um a wiggle and perform the airbag reset proceedure in the guides section. viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3279

Pinking ? If your getting it when your letting off as well as accelerating could it be the 'clicking rear Axle' ? Lots of threads about that. Have a look. :)

For the Airbag lights - check all the wiring and connections around and under the seats give um a wiggle and perform the airbag reset proceedure in the guides section. viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3279

Pinking ? If your getting it when your letting off as well as accelerating could it be the 'clicking rear Axle' ? Lots of threads about that. Have a look. :)

Thanks top reply i just followed the airbag reset procedure it it's stopped, will see how it does on my run tomorrow. Lots of thanks for that tip.

I'll check on the 'clicking rear axle'

Thanks again.

I had pinking on my zed, fitted a high flow panel filter and did ecu reset which has cured the problem. Also try tesco 99 ron fuel.

Thanks, i filled her up with shell V Power earlier (99RON) i believe. It seemed to feel better, didn't have the jolt as much in higher gears. I have been running on normal unleaded the last few fills i've done, don't know what my predecessor used. Might have had some impact recent months.

Was the ecu reset easy to do? I'll check the threads.

It's 99 RON according to Shell, i didn't know that till earlier though.

Yeah might well be, it's still not running great but is mildly better, i've never had pinking so i might be wrong with that but it's the only think i can relate it to.

When you said pinking earlier I thought you were referring to a noise you heard rather than it running rough, hence the clicky axle suggestion. I've not heard of an engine pinking on deceleration before - usually on acceleration. Do you hear a 'pinking' noise? Or is it just running rough?

If it's running rough keep using the good quality fuel reset the ecu and give it a good service. Maybe run a fuel system cleaner through it. (STP total fuel system cleaner is the only one I've found to work)

How many miles has it done? Have the plugs been changed?

Make sure the MAF sensor plug is securely in place, also check the throttle body is clean. you will need to remove the air intake pipe to check it and its a bit of a faff getting it off.

When i called nissan about mine pinking, they didnt even know what pinking was......sums it up really. :lol:

Needless to say I didnt take it anywhere Nissan mechanics.... :angry:

When you said pinking earlier I thought you were referring to a noise you heard rather than it running rough, hence the clicky axle suggestion. I've not heard of an engine pinking on deceleration before - usually on acceleration. Do you hear a 'pinking' noise? Or is it just running rough?

If it's running rough keep using the good quality fuel reset the ecu and give it a good service. Maybe run a fuel system cleaner through it. (STP total fuel system cleaner is the only one I've found to work)

How many miles has it done? Have the plugs been changed?

Erm no pinking noise, to be fair i don't know what it sounds like, was just going off something my dad said when i called him and i described it, he hasn't heard or seen what the car is doing though. Standard rev seems to run fine, it's not reving as high now when i come to a stop.

The "half second jolt" at acceleration and deceleration is still there though but not as much in gears 4 to 6 (least from what i though today when driving to town and back). In 2 and 3 it's still quite prominant. It is litterally like i take my foot off the pedal and in half a second i get a kick as it "realises" it should be slowing down, and again when i accel again i get that same jolt but in the opposite.

It was serviced just 3k ago, i'll read up more on reseting the ecu, not something i've done before. It's done 30k on it. The plus i think were changed before i got her, i'll check on that.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_196383_langId_-1_categoryId_165750 Is that the one?

Best way to check for pinking is too.

Slow down to about 20mph, leave the car in 4th or 5th, then accelerate without changing gear and foot full on accelerator pedal.

You will hear a metallic tinkle when the engine is under load, if you hear that noise, thats pinking.

The jolt you describe is not something I have experienced, are you changing gear in a different way than before? Riding the clutch maybe?

Cool i'll try that tomorrow morning. If it is pinking whats the best thing to do?

Nah haven't been changing gear in a different way, i've been taking the roads a little more cautiously with the weather but it was doing it straight from the off anyway. Haven't been riding the clutch, oh i'm not on the clutch either when i'm doing it either.

I've been looking at the ecu reset, does this sound any good?

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Tutorial:ECU_Reset

Also sorry for the noob quesiton again, where can i find the MAF sensor so i can check that too, i've been googling it and only see people talking about them or selling them.

Yep thats the ecu reset method. Timing is crtitcal so a stop watch will deffo help.

Zmanalex sells them, maf sensors that is.

If its pinking, I can only suggest what i have done.

Ecu reset

High flow panel filter

Check throttle body, ensure its clean inside

I did fit a plenum spacer, but dont think it helped.

It could be dirt on your crank sensor, plus any other sensors could be dirty, but check the crank sensor first, may just be dirty.

Erm no pinking noise, to be fair i don't know what it sounds like, was just going off something my dad said when i called him and i described it, he hasn't heard or seen what the car is doing though. Standard rev seems to run fine, it's not reving as high now when i come to a stop.

The "half second jolt" at acceleration and deceleration is still there though but not as much in gears 4 to 6 (least from what i though today when driving to town and back). In 2 and 3 it's still quite prominant. It is litterally like i take my foot off the pedal and in half a second i get a kick as it "realises" it should be slowing down, and again when i accel again i get that same jolt but in the opposite.

It was serviced just 3k ago, i'll read up more on reseting the ecu, not something i've done before. It's done 30k on it. The plus i think were changed before i got her, i'll check on that.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_196383_langId_-1_categoryId_165750 Is that the one?

Yeah that's the stuff. However what you describe sound more electrical/sensor related. Won't do any harm putting some through though.

I'd do as Zugara suggests and check out your Maf connections, throttle body etc...

Is it actually running rough or is it just this delayed 'jolt ' that concerns you?

Could it be described as a 'sticky throttle' ? Might be worth having a read through this viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10781&hilit=throttle as there seems to be a few people experiencing that.