oil problems

bartman

just changed the oil in my gear box and diff i used a 75w/80 as advised my my local autoparts place, since replace whenever its cold gear box is very tight and diff has a whine to it if you put your foot down hard. all levels are correct so i can only assume an oil problem what do you guys use and recommend cheers

yeah i a GL4 equiv in gearbox and a GL5 equiv in diff but both 75w/80 and i believe they are mineral oil not synthetic any suggestions on brands??

I only supply and fit the genuine Nissan oils, however there are other brands available.

If you want the correct stuff sent over then just :pmzmanalex::thumbs:

In stock and good to go same/next day. :thumbs:

Premium Quality Equals Premium Performance.

DO NOT DRIVE YOUR CAR UNTIL YOU DRAIN OFF THAT MINERAL RUBBISH AND REPLENISH WITH THE PROPER FLUIDS.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to resurrect a done and dusted thread, but it seemed like the right place to ask...

I've just replaced by gearbox and diff oils with oils recommended by Opie (Fuchs TITAN GEAR SYN for gearbox and Silkolene BOA 80W-90 for diff). I did ask about the GL4/GL5 thing with the gearbox oil and apparently the things in GL5 additives which used to corrode the yellow metals aren't used any more so I was told it was absolutely fine for the 350Z.

Anyway, since the change, when cold, first and second gear are really difficult to get into, second sometimes being virtually inaccessible, and the diff has developed a whine. It could be coming from the gearbox, but it eases when cornering so the diff seemed a more likely candidate.

Both are fine when warmed up a bit, but I never had either problem before. The oil that came out of the gearbox and diff were both pretty clean and there were no filings in the diff oil or round the plug. Do oils take time to 'bed in' or have I simply been lied to about the oils I needed?!

Cheers.

I would not think that you have been deliberately lied to.

For a 350Z with a viscous diff and 6 speed manual gearbox then I would recommend and would only supply or fit the following:

Nissan 75W85 API GL4+ fluid for the transmission.

Nissan LSD 80W90 API GL5 for the viscous diff.

Please note that the diff oil above is not suitable for true LSD applications.

Alex. :)