Horrible rattle when i turn the car off

charlied

Hi

Can anybody help...

Whenever I switch the 350 off it rattles from the transmission or somewhere like that. Is this common? :headhurt:

Also my drivers window opens slightly when going over 80ish which is a biatch and a half. Any ideas for this? Nissan have tried putting something on the rubber seal that makes it swell slightly but to little avail...

HELP!

• 1 year later...

I have the same rattle - for me it only happens after the car has warmed up - so if I turn it off straight away from cold - no rattle..

It isn't the car cooling down - that noise I get but is just the 'tink, tink...' of cooling exhaust metal ;)

I asked my dealer about this when I took it for service and they say it is the clutch release bearing .. this c o u l d be possible as .. when I press in the clutch before turning the engine off the rattle doesn't happen .. so .. I guess as the bearing is compressed - i.e. held together firmly it can't rattle ..

I did think though that it might have been the gearbox wearing .. partic as I also get a kind of whine from the gearbox .. kinda like the noise you hear from a straight cut gearbox or really old cars like a model T Ford ! .. although at a much quiteter level .. (anyone else get this ?) you can hear it only really in 1st or second as anything else above this is covered by road noise.

can anyone confirm this .. or is this common / normal .. anyone else get this or can supply a reason/answer ??

Cheers !

I have the same rattle - for me it only happens after the car has warmed up - so if I turn it off straight away from cold - no rattle..

It isn't the car cooling down - that noise I get but is just the 'tink, tink...' of cooling exhaust metal ;)

I asked my dealer about this when I took it for service and they say it is the clutch release bearing .. this c o u l d be possible as .. when I press in the clutch before turning the engine off the rattle doesn't happen .. so .. I guess as the bearing is compressed - i.e. held together firmly it can't rattle ..

I did think though that it might have been the gearbox wearing .. partic as I also get a kind of whine from the gearbox .. kinda like the noise you hear from a straight cut gearbox or really old cars like a model T Ford ! .. although at a much quiteter level .. (anyone else get this ?) you can hear it only really in 1st or second as anything else above this is covered by road noise.

can anyone confirm this .. or is this common / normal .. anyone else get this or can supply a reason/answer ??

Cheers !

Mine does the same thing..

Nissan Dealer says it also happens on their demo car, so that's alright then!

I am going to have another go at them on the next service as I am sure it is the drivetrain or clutch. If I press the clutch the rattle stops (only when hot though), also if I can hear it more in reverse.

I am going to see if I can get them to put the modified gearbox in that eliminates the gear lever vibration on the 2007/8 models. (mine is a 56 plate).

Neil

Mine does the same thing..

Nissan Dealer says it also happens on their demo car, so that's alright then!

I am going to have another go at them on the next service as I am sure it is the drivetrain or clutch. If I press the clutch the rattle stops (only when hot though), also if I can hear it more in reverse.

I am going to see if I can get them to put the modified gearbox in that eliminates the gear lever vibration on the 2007/8 models. (mine is a 56 plate).

Great, Cheers for that Neil

out of extra interest maybe, I know that mine had a new Nissan fitted clutch before I had it (mine is an 04).. maybe it is just release bearing, would be simple if so , but would be very very surprised if they didn't replace the bearing at the same time as the clutch... a classic false economy case!

mine has only done just over 30k .. have you had yours from new?.. maybe there has been a replacement in yours (don't know if this is significant in any way tho')

I don't have the gear lever vibration probs..

I was thinking of changing mine for an 06 plate (mainly to avoid the hyper-road-tax post march 06 :rant:)

I'd be really interested to hear how you get on ..... thinking about it if yours is a 56 it is still in warranty ..so the garage would be more inclined to want to do work on it than not .. more money for them if they do ..

but yeh, would really like to hear how you get on !

Cheers !

Darren

I used to get a nasty almost knocking rattle as I turned the engine off on mine. It was an intermittent thing and I never managed to come up with a reliable way of replicating it for the garage - how do cars do that?! It was definitely coming from the tranmission/clutch area though.

I say I used to as it seems to have gone now I've had the clutch replaced, I'm reserving judgment as I never had a set way of making it do it and I've not had the new clutch that long, but it's looking good so far.

I don't think mine was the trust bearing as it never made any noise when putting the clutch in, it was possibly a broken spring(s) in the pressure or friction plate as the take up was fairly harsh, and the pedal very heavy.

Great, Cheers for that Neil

out of extra interest maybe, I know that mine had a new Nissan fitted clutch before I had it (mine is an 04).. maybe it is just release bearing, would be simple if so , but would be very very surprised if they didn't replace the bearing at the same time as the clutch... a classic false economy case!

mine has only done just over 30k .. have you had yours from new?.. maybe there has been a replacement in yours (don't know if this is significant in any way tho')

I don't have the gear lever vibration probs..

I was thinking of changing mine for an 06 plate (mainly to avoid the hyper-road-tax post march 06 :rant:)

I'd be really interested to hear how you get on ..... thinking about it if yours is a 56 it is still in warranty ..so the garage would be more inclined to want to do work on it than not .. more money for them if they do ..

but yeh, would really like to hear how you get on !

Cheers !

Darren

I'll let you know how I get on Darren.

Just read an article in this weeks 'Live' Magazine (comes free with the Mail On Sunday) that James Martin has recently test drove the 350z and thinks its great, although the 'only thing that did my head in was the carbon fibre prop shaft, which made a racket like a bloody tractor every time I pulled away in 1st & 2nd gear. The noise disappeared at speed but, still, it shouldn't happen in a two-seat sports car' he said.

Now I am confused.....what is causing this annoying noise?

And so it continues... :dry:

Neil

• 5 weeks later...

ahh that's interesting !... cheers Neil (sos for delayin replying.. haven't been on for a while :blush:)

bugglet; the nissan chap said the thrust bearing rattled 'cus it wasn't greased enough.. or had lost grease..or similar.. so maybe as you had your clutch replaced the T bearing was bound to have been replaced at the same time & your new one is greased up better (certainly better than mine if that's what's causing it!)

Cheers again all :)