Possible ABS Issue

mab1

Right, here is an interesting problem for you that just started today. Any ideas gratefully received..

Under firm braking with say 1/8 - 1/4 turn of right hand lock I am getting a definate pulsing feeling and sound through the brake pedal briefly, pretty much the same feeling as the ABS kicking in in, although possibly more pronounced. This would be at speeds of say, 30 - 40mph. When it happened initially the ESP light flashed, although I have been able to re-create the problem at will since without an ESP intervention (possibly due to slower speeds). This was in the dry and no warning lights on the dash. Repeating the same procedure with left hand lock the car responds normally.

A quick inspection reveals:

- No fault codes logged.

- No visible (from jacking up the car at least) issues.

- Tyre pressures and condition OK.

The car has just been service so the brakes are in good condition, also had two new rear tyres (Bridgestone).

I have searched the historical threads with no joy - anyone got any ideas?

Right, here is an interesting problem for you that just started today. Any ideas gratefully received..

Under firm braking with say 1/8 - 1/4 turn of right hand lock I am getting a definate pulsing feeling and sound through the brake pedal briefly, pretty much the same feeling as the ABS kicking in in, although possibly more pronounced. This would be at speeds of say, 30 - 40mph. When it happened initially the ESP light flashed, although I have been able to re-create the problem at will since without an ESP intervention (possibly due to slower speeds). This was in the dry and no warning lights on the dash. Repeating the same procedure with left hand lock the car responds normally.

A quick inspection reveals:

- No fault codes logged.

- No visible (from jacking up the car at least) issues.

- Tyre pressures and condition OK.

The car has just been service so the brakes are in good condition, also had two new rear tyres (Bridgestone).

I have searched the historical threads with no joy - anyone got any ideas?

Must be the new rear tyres mate. the fronts are grippier until the rear becomes fully cycled it will have less grip and hence ESP kicking in :thumbs: just take your time for the next hundreds of miles!

However i have to question your breaking while turning :surrender: I know you have not fully described what you where doing but all your braking should be done with straight steering input as much possible. Its a caution that will serve you well with wintery/wet conditions pending.

Thanks for the replies chaps

If the front tyres are worn, or the new rears are the wrong size/profile this can cause the esp/abs to kick in prematurely as the wheel speeds will be out, had this issue myself with new rear tyres & worn front ones

Ive double checked the tyre sizes and they are fine. The fronts are not new, but not heavily worn either - they are certainly are of a level where I have changed rears on numerous quick RWD cars in the past with no issues. Could possibly be a zed specific trait.

Must be the new rear tyres mate. the fronts are grippier until the rear becomes fully cycled it will have less grip and hence ESP kicking in just take your time for the next hundreds of miles!

I think the ESP was a bit of a red herring here, this is definately ABS or a similar feeling (no ESP light flashing for a start) and its definately way below the point at which the fronts are anywhere near locking up. Also, would it not exhibit the same behaviour when applying a left steering input.

However i have to question your breaking while turning I know you have not fully described what you where doing but all your braking should be done with straight steering input as much possible. Its a caution that will serve you well with wintery/wet conditions pending.

I just knew I was going to get pulled up on the this :lol: you will have to take my word for it, its not a piece of driving muppetry despite how I may have described it - it happened on curved entrance to an island that requires a stop pretty much in the middle of the bend.

Its not a road I use all that often hence why I cant think of another circumstance where I would be doing this combination of braking to a stop and steering, hence why I have had to deliberately try to replicate it.

Thanks for the replies chaps

no worries mate! this is what the forum is for :thumbs:

Ive double checked the tyre sizes and they are fine. The fronts are not new, but not heavily worn either - they are certainly are of a level where I have changed rears on numerous quick RWD cars in the past with no issues. Could possibly be a zed specific trait.

yup! its just the difference in grip levels the culprit. It a trait common to all cars but more so pronounce in powerful RWD car with sensitive handling ;) you can actually create the same thing even with new sets of tyres on both axles if they are different brands or compunds hence why its adviceable to keep the same brand on all axles B)

I think the ESP was a bit of a red herring here, this is definately ABS or a similar feeling (no ESP light flashing for a start) and its definately way below the point at which the fronts are anywhere near locking up. Also, would it not exhibit the same behaviour when applying a left steering input.

ESP and ABS are invariably linked ;) there are a million and one accronym for all these nanny aids within the manufacturers but they all try to do the same thing!

It may be that the road was oily or very smooth or the tyres where still too green that may explain why you cannot replicate it at slower speed but push a little harder and its should be easy :p

I just knew I was going to get pulled up on the this :lol: you will have to take my word for it, its not a piece of driving muppetry despite how I may have described it - it happened on curved entrance to an island that requires a stop pretty much in the middle of the bend.

:lol::lol: it was just a friendly reminder but you know what to do so you are ok :drive1

where are you in worcestershire? i am in worcester and it seems i am the only zed in the village now! there where 2 others i saw everynow and again but have vanished for a while now