Intermittent noise

MacW

Hi guys,

I've started parking in an out of the way corner of the car park at work for obvious reasons.

The relevance of this is cos I'm now using a higher tier further up the hill so I have to go down a short, steep ramp at the end of the day when I leave. Every afternoon when I do this I enter the ramp at dawdling speed and gently touch the brakes half way down just in case any headless chickens are on their way home at the bottom. Every day I get a slight grinding from the front offside wheel.

The strange thing is it's only when the car is first used, if I take the time to drive round the car park and use the same ramp again a minute later I won't get the noise. Also if I drive the car about for a while and then go down the ramp I don't get the noise either.

I'm booking the car in to Abbey for its MOT soon anyway so I'll get it looked at then but just seemed quite strange behaviour.

I hear something similar to what you've described but, the only time i hear the grinding noise is if I've finished washing the car and left it to dry, the disks get this very superficial rusty layer. When i drive away for the first time and brake they grind but this quickly goes away. My old car (golf) did exactly the same thing so i don't think it's anything to worry about.

The other times are when it's raining and it's been standing around for a a few hours, again the disks get an orange superficial rusty surface and the grinding noise goes away after I've applied the brakes for the first time.

You could have a quick look to see if the disks are rusty looking cause that could be the cause. Failing that I don't know...