Anyone here lived with a Ducati 748 ?

mick43

Always fancied one... only as a play thing. Test rode one years back and nearly purchased except for crippling wrists... but will do less miles now and mostly track days...

But also considering MV Agusta...

& now a buddy has offered me his one owner 2004 R1 at a good price...

Heart still says 748...

any experience... self or associates ?

Really uncomfy,slow compared to your z750's,etc. But looks to die for! Seriously though. Loads of torque in bottom end and taking corners is amazing at high speed. Only produces about 90bhp at the rear wheel but its instant power. Sound noisy with its dry clutch but it aint a problem, just noisy. make sure its been properly serviced and especialy the cam chains and Rocker arms. other than that mate..A good buy unless you can get the 916 which is better.

I had one of the last models made back in 03 and its basically a race bike for the road, so hope this helps you?

Mate at work had one....pain/pleasure evenly balanced so he says. On the other hand i've had my '05 R1 for about 18 months, and it has been honestly nothing but pleasure :yahoo: . Does all i want, wheelies like a b*%tard; soooo flickable for a litre bike; comfy on a long journey (Nurburgring and back in a weekend); and very very well made, like a Honda but sexier!

Simon.

If you want the V-twin experience, and if you're thinking Ducati then you do, I'd go for the Honda SP1/2. Build quality and reliability the rest just can't match, and that's not just the bits you can see. No cam BELTS like the 748 (not chains) to worry about as has gear driven cams, and the electrics don't pack in as soon as it looks like rain!

Seriously though, not the fastest or lightest by any margin, but then you do want to keep your licence don't you? It'll still do 80+ in first on standard gearing with 5 more to go.

My SP2 has been the 'best' bike I've owned in the last 30 years of riding, thats well over 60 bikes I've owned.

Currently has BST carbon wheels, Ti/carbon full race Akropovic system with R&G hangers, Durbahn carbon airbox, power commander 3r, Nitron race shock, Ohlins internals, braided lines, Brembo underslung rear caliper, Harris rearsets, CRG levers, Undertail, carbon hugger, HID headlights(ace!), Ti fasteners all round...the list is endless.

Go take a test ride...