Bluetooth works only intermittently

twynne

I've swapped out my old phone cradle today for a bluetooth adapter (thanks Mr. F!) and, in general, it works MUCH better. The only problem seems to be when I walk away from the car (switch off) and later return. When the car starts it makes a connection to the phone as it should, the stereo shows 'PHONE' and I get the connection tone.

Seconds later it disconnects, and the only way I can get it to reconnect is to remove the bluetooth adapter from the cradle and re-insert. It then connects up fine and stays connected until I switch off again.

I should mention that even with the old cradle I often had issues with it. Most times I went to use it I'd have to remove the phone from the cradle, switch the phone off and on again, then replace in the cradle, after which it worked.

I've tried searching the forum for similar issues, but can't find this particular problem. Has anyone seen this or similar? Would you believe the in-car portion of the system to be at fault? Should I approach Nissan (they've already replaced it once!)

Incidentally it's a Nokia N80, and the car is an '04 reg.

Cheers all,

Tom

not seen this problem. Try putting the phone in the cubby hole next to the BT adapter and see if you still loose connection. Also if you should loose connection, see what the phone says. Is it turning off the blue tooth and what does the led on the BT adapter do when you loose connection.

Thanks for the reply. It's definitely not losing the bluetooth connection as the phone is already right next to the centre console. Also if I unplug the bluetooth adapter and reinsert it connects immediately and maintains the connection.

I'm inclined to think the unit in the car is having problems. As it's an 04 model I wonder if maybe they've made changes to the in-car bit that affects its compatibility with the bluetooth module (for that matter it didn't work reliably with an actual phone/cradle either!)

It's going in for 27k service in the coming weeks so I may just book it in sooner and ask them to check it out. I'm just a bit worried that they'll moan about the bluetooth bit as it wasn't purchased from them. :dry:

I dont think its the same problem as you, but mine was disconnecting after a few minutes and seems to have been fixed by setting the phone to only allow one bluetooth connection at a time. I think maybe it was getting confused by other bluetooth devices?

Maybe worth a try?

Strange... I just went out to test and it connected first time and stayed connected. I switched off the ignition about 10 times, each time waiting for the bluetooth connection to disappear from the phone, and each time it reconnected perfectly. :thumbs:

Guess I'll watch it over the next few days and see how it goes. It's booked in Friday for service anyway so worst case I'll ask them to check it out.

Thanks all for your suggestions, etc.

Cheers,

Tom

Doh - spoke too soon I guess... got into the car this evening and it did the same again... connected for a second, then disconnected, and refused connection again until I removed the bluetooth adapter and re-inserted. Will speak to dealer on Friday... grrrr! :angry: