Any techies out there help me get my Itunes link back ?

Sylvester

Nothing to do with Zeds in any way so please stop reading if you thought this thred was Zed related and sorry for wasting your time.

Am sure there are some clever techies out there who may be able to help me. I have a work laptop on which I have ITunes installed and all my music for my Ipod ( as I can access internet for free from work anytime no point paying for it on home computer ). Problem is for some time I have not been able to get connected to the Music Store on Itunes. Because its a work computer and for SW is for personal use I can't use my own company techies for help.... I have read through the help stuff on Itunes to try and fix the problem but my techy knowledge is limited so I don't really understand some of the jargon and I can't do some of the things they suggest ( like talk to the SW supplying for Firewalls etc ) due to it all being supplied by work.

Problem is that when I try to access music store from within Itunes I get the following message:

Itunes could not connect to the music store. The network connection was refused.

Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, then try again.

Laptop has the following :

Windows XP Professional version 5.1 ( build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519 : Service Pack 2 )

Check Point Integrity Client

Internet Explorer 6.0

Itunes 6.0.5.20

Problem might be related to any or all of the above I guess..:-(

I used to be able to access Itunes/Music Store OK until about 6 weeks ago. We have a lot of automatic SW updates performed on our laptops so I am not sure what changed to trigger it but do know that SP2 upgrade has been done in last couple of months.

Any offers of help ( preferably in English rather than technogeek ) much apreciated.

Cheers

Syl

Guest prescience

You could be being blocked by your works IT department.

Try this

www.proxify.com

Then in the box provided, type in the link you have and click ''Proxify'

What this is doing is using another means of accessing the address which your IT depoartment may not have blocked.

EDIT->Actually it doesn't sound like the above will help, since the message is saying Itunes can't connect

I think recent security updates from MS may have reverted the firewall to be always on. It may also be set from group policy on the works network (if you have one).

So while ITunes may have opened the relevant ports and work initially, connecting to the compnay network could have shut them down again..

If you can disable the firewall while accessing Itunes, that may help.

Here is a guide to disabling the xp firewall....

http://www.utmem.edu/helpdesk/sp2/sp2firewall.htm

Thanks again...

According to the Control Panel front page Firewall is on.

Going into the Windows Firewall subpage the options to turn it on or off are greyed out ( so I assume controlled by group policy ) but it looks like the off button is selected. If you go to the Exceptions tab the text says ' Windows firewall is turned off. Your network administrator is using group policy to control these setting. The body of that page then lists several progams amongst which is Itunes. This has a tick in the box to the left of the program name and under column Group Policy it says No.

No idea what all that means.... doesn't sound too promising though... :surrender:

If there is a tick on the box then it seems to be allowed - however, if you access the internet via the work connection, it may be that the internet proxy is blocking access further up the chain.

i.e. The program is allowed to communicate through your firewall on your local PC - but the ports it uses to transmit data over may be blocked by your company's server.

(the ports are: Port 3689 TCP & Port 5353 UDP)

If that is the case then there may not be a lot that can be done. Other than changing the ports that Itunes uses. I dont know if that is possible, I have no experience of the software at all.

Hmm yes - it may be worth asking one of the freindly IT guys if they have blocked it for a reason - but even then, they may not take kindly to someone having personal software on a works laptop.

It all depends on how freindly you are with the IT guys, and how much trouble you could find yourself in if the IT department found you circumnavigating their efforts.

:teeth::teeth: Managed to circumvent the problem by shutting down the Check Point Integrity Flex progam ( temporarily :ninja: ). Guess there may be a setting in there that I can play with but I have a work around until I find it....

Thanks again for your help guys...

Syl

ok but just be aware that you are opening your machine up to risk, whilst you do this. I'd reenable everytime you don't need to use the iTunes software. Additionally, they may be able to tell remotely that you machine doesn't have the software enabled so keep it to a min. Don't have it shut down all the time or you asking for trouble and might have to explain why you shut it down etc.......

Just keep to a minimum and you will probably be ok.... :)