does anyone clean there engine bays....

kevlo

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone cleans there engine bay on the 350z. i used to do it all the time with my tt but the 350z engine bay is so full of stuff i dont understand im scared of hosing it down and causing damage.

Is there anything i should cover up before spraying the engine with water. i have put a picture so you can highlight areas that are dangerous to get wet. Btw i know to only use a gentle spray of the hose and not to blast it with the pressure washer :)

any help much appreciated?

post-6147-135011885251_thumb.jpg

I recognise that pic............. ;)

I jet washed mine, just be careful where you point the nozzle thats all, obviously away from battery compartment, and any exposed areas.

Safest thing to do, is wrap any exposed parts, spark plug housings etc in carrier bags first, well tied up....

Can add a detergent to get rid of grime and oil etc, and agitate with an alloy wheel brush, then make sure you rinse it off well

Then finish the whole lot off with dashboard spray/shine..... brings up the plastics and rubbers really well......

Ok the spark plugs, you have 3 either side of the engine, where the yellow dipstick is, behind that, and exactly the same opposite side of the engine, or plenum chamber.

And I hope you know where the battery is............

This is the way I do it. Remove strut barce and engine cover. Only 2 parts to really take care with when jet washing is the sensor on the intake and if you have a exposed filter on the intake cover that up too. Areas shown below:

engine_detail_cover.jpg

Then I cover the whole lot in a degreaser, I personally recommend Gunk although some areas are covered with some sticky yellow residue which can later be detailed with something stronger like meths or white spirits. Once you the whole lot, get your detail brushes out and try get in every nook and cranny. Rinse off and repeat until your happy. When im done with the cleaning I normally run the engine for 15 minutes to dry off any excess water that may have accumulated. Then apply some sort of engine dresser and buff off to protect and shine. Stick it all back together, grab yourself a nice cool beer and enjoy.

Suggested routine:

Cling film any connectors / air intakes

Spray with a degreaser (I use AG Engine & Machine Cleaner)

Agitate with various brushes. Re-apply degreaser if needed, do not let it dry.

Rinse with a light running hose so as not to blast anything out the way / break anything.

Dry thoroughly.

Dress plastics / polish as needed. (AG Vinyl and Rubber care is good for the plastics)

Mine:-

_DSC0051.jpg

:)