I got my diff shimmed again, lol

MrMartinGrant

Looks like good fun Martin :) and nice to see this kind of behaviour in a controlled environment for a change

I am sure others are thinking the same but what does getting your diff shimmed mean/involve?

Cheers,

Matt

It's great fun lol :D

I got my diff shimmed to tighten it up, so both my rear wheels can lock up, when I want to have a bit of fun. You can’t have fun with a one wheeler lol

So it’s either, buy a good two way diff or the cheaper option, and get your diff shimmed.

Basically to shim a diff, you remove it from its casing, break it down and then add some shims, these are really just washers, it’s always trial and error, It can end up to tight, which can make every day driving very hard, as both rear wheels turn at the same speed, so it’s better to have a wee bit of give.

A few points to note.

1 : shimming a diff can decrease the life of a diff. But I’ve yet to see or find out by how much, most of my friends drive R33 skylines and S14s, the ones with out 2 way diffs, shim their diffs too and have had no problems since I’ve know them.

2 : The shims will not last, I’ve had mine shimmed twice in 8 months, the tighter the diff – the quicker the shims wear.

3 : It’s very hard to get it right, it’s a case of shimming the diff and trying it out.

4 : If you have two shims that are half the width of a larger one and you put the two thinner ones in, this will not give the same tightness as using one thick one that’s the same thickness as the two thinner ones, if you know what I mean lol

Here’s a wee bit of reading.

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/technic ... -diff.html

:)

Surely it will be cheaper long run to buy a 2way clutch type diff when you add up the labour cost of shimming, parts, diff oil, time and hit and miss results or even a 1.5way for the best of both worlds and use some bald tyres and set you suspension to reduce rear end grip if needed ;)

Looks like good fun Martin :) and nice to see this kind of behaviour in a controlled environment for a change

I am sure others are thinking the same but what does getting your diff shimmed mean/involve?

Cheers,

Matt

It's great fun lol :D

I got my diff shimmed to tighten it up, so both my rear wheels can lock up, when I want to have a bit of fun. You can’t have fun with a one wheeler lol

So it’s either, buy a good two way diff or the cheaper option, and get your diff shimmed.

Basically to shim a diff, you remove it from its casing, break it down and then add some shims, these are really just washers, it’s always trial and error, It can end up to tight, which can make every day driving very hard, as both rear wheels turn at the same speed, so it’s better to have a wee bit of give.

A few points to note.

1 : shimming a diff can decrease the life of a diff. But I’ve yet to see or find out by how much, most of my friends drive R33 skylines and S14s, the ones with out 2 way diffs, shim their diffs too and have had no problems since I’ve know them.

2 : The shims will not last, I’ve had mine shimmed twice in 8 months, the tighter the diff – the quicker the shims wear.

3 : It’s very hard to get it right, it’s a case of shimming the diff and trying it out.

4 : If you have two shims that are half the width of a larger one and you put the two thinner ones in, this will not give the same tightness as using one thick one that’s the same thickness as the two thinner ones, if you know what I mean lol

Here’s a wee bit of reading.

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/technic ... -diff.html

:)

Thanks Martin, probably not for me but a good write up :)

Matt

• 3 months later...

Nice write up, shimming is ok if you have the garage, tools & time to fiddle about with it but surley it would just be easier to buy a diff or just weld it if all your doing with the car is skidding? I hope the open carpark is not the the extent of your "drifting" capabilities but a mear test of the shims. Do you do any DWYB events?