Removing a private plate <kind of technical> ;)

bigmike20vt

Hi folks....

As you may have noticed in other threads, i am very close to buying a 350Z.

I have also had some possible interest in my fiat coupe, but it has a private plate on it.

I would rather sell privately as

1) it gives me more buying power, a trader would rather have money than a trade in

2) means i can walk away from the trader if i do not like the Z he is selling and, buy privately

3) (minor thing) i am confident in my car aside from turbo so would like to keep it in the coupe fold.

If i sell the car privately to someone on the coupe owners forum, is it easy to take a private plate off the car AFTER the sale and keep the plate in my name - so a buyer drives away in the car and then starts the ball rolling on the plate retention, or would that cause all sorts of issues with the plate no longer beign owned by me?.

clearly i do not want a potential buyer to look at my car, say, "yes i will have it", i then go, over stretch myself buying a Z NOT trading in the coupe, and then the coupe buyer back out and i end up stuck with 2 cars and a big debt.

I cant believe i am the 1st (or the last) person in this quandry

thanks for reading

M.

Whatever registration is shown on the v5 at the time of the sale belongs to the new owner. You must start the ball rolling on a registrtration retention before selling...

Hi

thanks for your thoughts..... Am i right in saying tho that once the ball is rolling, the car is technically unsellable until the new documents are in place and the number plate is retained?

i just looked at the DVLA site and it looks like with the V317 form it is fairly simple for the new owner to transfer the plate onto what would be my new vehicle, or does it not work like that?

thanks again

M.

Doesnt work like that...

When transfering a number plate directly from one vehicle to another, the V5 documents will need to both be in the name of one person if you dont want to risk someone else doing a runner with your pottentially valuable plate.

When you put a number plate on retention (ready to assign it to a new vehicle) the number plate is given a grantee (person who owns the rights to the number) and a nominee if they choose to name one (a person who can assign the number to their car).

If you sell your car with your number plate still on it, and no retention or transfer in progress, then the new owner of the car becomes the owner of the number plate - and you will have lost all legal right to it. They can assign it back to you, but they could equally keep it themselves, stick two fingers up to you and sell it to whomever they want.

If you absolutely dont want to rsk losing the plate - then the process is as this....

Take a completed 317 form (sections 2 and 4) to the DVLA with your V5 and current tax disc and MOT, and for £105 you retain the number. They give you a new tax disc, and stamp/sign your MOT with your new reg number (probably the one that was on the car before you put the private plate on it). They also send off your V5 to have the registration number ammended. You also get sent a certificate of retention (may take a few weeks to come through.

During this time you will have no V5 for the car. It may take a couple of weeks or so to come through. That doesnt mean you cant sell it, it, they still give you the green slip to show you own the car. You put the car on its old (or whatever they give you) registration that day. You can now sell the car - if the buyer wants to wait until you get the new V5 through then it could be a couple of weeks.

When your retention certificate comes through, you have 12 months to asign it to another vehicle. You will need to take that certificate and the V5 from your new car (with the V5 in your name which matches the grantee details in section 2 of the 317 you filled in) to the DVLA office, and a similar chain of events occurs.

They will take the V5 off you and send it off to have your private plate added, they take your retention certificate and your existing tax disc and MOT off you, and give you a new tax disc with your private reg on it, sign/stamp your MOT with the private reg and you are told to get your private plates fitted asap.

You then wait for the V5 to come back with your private reg on it.

Its a bit long winded, but it ensures that you never risk losing your private plate.

If you own both cars at the same time, then you can do the reg change before selling, and cut out the wait for the retention certificate.

However you will need both cars V5's to be in your name when you do this, otherwise you are assigning the mark to a vehicle not in your name which risks you losing the mark and also risks being rejected as the previous owner may have already sent off the slip to change the car into your name.

Just wait until bothe V5's are in your name and then do the reg change..

Hope that all hellps :)

You can take the private plate off your car that you want to sell and place it on retention. This is a certificate that then enables you to replace it onto your new car when you buy it. It will cost you - Think it's a few quid, but that includes the transfer to the new car.

Just saw Chesterfield post, :thumbs: didn;t see that one :lol: