370z Coupe and Convertible Test Drives

ozwald

Hi Guys,

Thought I right a little review of a couple of test drives I did!! :)

So, I was up at our local car supermarket yesterday with a mate of mine looking for a car for his mother as it was a decent day and we had nothing better to do. Upon entering there are 2 brand new 370z's black coupe and sliver convertible (Currently the only convertible on the island)

Salesman approaches us and asks if he can help so I just casually asked what kind of part exchange I could get on my 2006 350z. Not expecting it to go anywhere as these were brand new cars on delivery mileage... however 20 minutes of idle talk of finance and what not later and the salesman was taping trade plates to the convertible ready for a test drive! :clap:

So out me and my mate went, roof down enjoying the wonders of alfresco motoring! Initial impression were that the brakes were very solid and the gearbox was super smooth (Manual). I was surprised about the relative lack of space and far fewer cubby holes. Although the dash I thought was nicely laid out. Although it wasn't possible to stretch it's legs due to the number of tourists idly pottering around it had good response and certainly didn't feel short of 'go' and the steering was nicely weighted and balanced. However the one thing that I really didn't like was how light and soft the throttle was. There was no resistance in the throttle no matter where my foot was on it or what speed we were doing. Not sure if this is a trait of a brand new car but it was certainly something I didn't like.

Returning after 45 or so minutes to a salesman with a gleaming smile I unfortunately wiped that smile off his face with my speak of throttle dislike. He seemed the put this down to the fact that the convertible was heavier than the coupe and suggested I take that one out for a spin! Not wanting to dissapoint him the trade plates were swapped over and off we went again!

First thing that struck me was just how much lighter the coupe was and just how much more responsive it was with the less weight. I knew it would be better but didn't realise just how much difference it would make. However the throttle still had the same lightness to it that I really didn't like. I also found that for some reason the driving position in the convertible was better than the coupe... not sure why, maybe I didn't spend enough time fiddling with the seat controls! I also found that it was harder to place on the road than the 350 with it's lower seating position and the rising bonnet, something I suppose you'd get used to but a little weird while on a test drive.

We returned after a very enjoyable 45 or so minutes (again) and then I really had to have a think... minus the throttle thing I really really liked this car.... however when it came down to it with an offer of £12k part exchange on my car that still leaves £19k to pay..... and is it £19k better than my 350? After spending the rest of the day driving around just to make sure IMO.... nowhere close!

Hi Guys,

Thought I right a little review of a couple of test drives I did!! :)

So, I was up at our local car supermarket yesterday with a mate of mine looking for a car for his mother as it was a decent day and we had nothing better to do. Upon entering there are 2 brand new 370z's black coupe and sliver convertible (Currently the only convertible on the island)

Salesman approaches us and asks if he can help so I just casually asked what kind of part exchange I could get on my 2006 350z. Not expecting it to go anywhere as these were brand new cars on delivery mileage... however 20 minutes of idle talk of finance and what not later and the salesman was taping trade plates to the convertible ready for a test drive! :clap:

So out me and my mate went, roof down enjoying the wonders of alfresco motoring! Initial impression were that the brakes were very solid and the gearbox was super smooth (Manual). I was surprised about the relative lack of space and far fewer cubby holes. Although the dash I thought was nicely laid out. Although it wasn't possible to stretch it's legs due to the number of tourists idly pottering around it had good response and certainly didn't feel short of 'go' and the steering was nicely weighted and balanced. However the one thing that I really didn't like was how light and soft the throttle was. There was no resistance in the throttle no matter where my foot was on it or what speed we were doing. Not sure if this is a trait of a brand new car but it was certainly something I didn't like.

Returning after 45 or so minutes to a salesman with a gleaming smile I unfortunately wiped that smile off his face with my speak of throttle dislike. He seemed the put this down to the fact that the convertible was heavier than the coupe and suggested I take that one out for a spin! Not wanting to dissapoint him the trade plates were swapped over and off we went again!

First thing that struck me was just how much lighter the coupe was and just how much more responsive it was with the less weight. I knew it would be better but didn't realise just how much difference it would make. However the throttle still had the same lightness to it that I really didn't like. I also found that for some reason the driving position in the convertible was better than the coupe... not sure why, maybe I didn't spend enough time fiddling with the seat controls! I also found that it was harder to place on the road than the 350 with it's lower seating position and the rising bonnet, something I suppose you'd get used to but a little weird while on a test drive.

We returned after a very enjoyable 45 or so minutes (again) and then I really had to have a think... minus the throttle thing I really really liked this car.... however when it came down to it with an offer of £12k part exchange on my car that still leaves £19k to pay..... and is it £19k better than my 350? After spending the rest of the day driving around just to make sure IMO.... nowhere close!

After my test drive of a 370z last year I have to agree. If it were just a few grand and your car, well maybe. Your car + £19k :thumbdown:

Good write up. I must admit I don't have the same feeling for the 370 as I had for my 350. Not had a good drive on the road of a 370 as I only got about 5 minutes proper road driving at Silverstone. Enjoyed the car on the track but not got a comparison as I've not tracked the 350.