gearbox: synchromesh issue

Removed

I better start from the beginning: it all started in February 06 when during a Midlands meet and some spirited driving, my geabox failed to engage 6th gear from fourth, at high rpms. It was actually a bit scary, i had my clutch pedal fully depressed.

it didn't crunch, it just wouldn't engange! since the speed was quite high, that was a bit of a safety issue too, although after a few tries of putting it into neutral and re engaging, the gear went in.

It then started to play up every once in a while, but never really crunching.

Since I'd been away from home during the week until mid July, I hadn't had the chance to go to a Dealer's to report it until mid may (especially for the issue) . the dealer is Lockwood and Greenwood Nissan in Ashton under Lyne, they also have a Subaru delaership next door.

They saw the car twice, and acknowledged the box was difficult to engage, although it had never crunched, but they still said they'd report it to NMGB.

I didn't hear anything for a few weeks, and one morning the box started to CRUNCH every time I changed gear over 4000rpms from 3rd to 6th or 4th to 6th. That was proper crunching with the clutch pedal fully depressed. I knew my synchros were grinding away. i was about to contact the dealer again, but they rang me first! Dave is the Service manager there.

They had a brand new gearbox waiting for me, WITH UPDATED SYNCHROS.... (i.e. the previous ones were not up to the job, it was acknowledged...)

In the last couple of days they swapped over my box with the new one, under warranty.

It now feels a bit tight but I guess is to be expected since it's new, will let you know how it goes in the next few thousand miles.

With regards to the dealership experience, it was overall positive, apart from the fact that i had to go take off my skirts since they couldn't get the car to the ramps :lol: and since they were aftermarket skirts they coulsn't claim the 20 minutes job of taking them off, under warranty. fair enough, but come on... :lol:

They haven't found my rear axle clicking although tbh I don't think they had time to do it anyway, but that's a non issues as opposed to the box tbh, will get it sorted soon somewhere.

Great, another one nearby to add to the list about getting a P2 service cost from..... :thumbs:

yes do! I had second P1 done there, although I did tell them not to do the brake fluid (27miles) and i supplied my own oil £102 incl Vat IIRC! :yahoo:

Dave will match the prices of other dealers, so ring him last, plus tell him about the site and that i sent you there :)

Great, another one nearby to add to the list about getting a P2 service cost from..... :thumbs:

yes do! I had second P1 done there, although I did tell them not to do the brake fluid (27miles) and i supplied my own oil £102 incl Vat IIRC! :yahoo:

Dave will match the prices of other dealers, so ring him last, plus tell him about the site and that i sent you there :)

Excellent, thats what I want...... I want someone who is not going to take the michael when you tell them you got your own oil etc....... as some of them knock off about 12p :angry:

UPDATE

had a drive tonight, with no problems in any gear. Once back home I switched the engine off, and tried inserting every gear still with the clutch depressed, and 3rd and 4th wouldn't "be found" properly, for some reason, as in they wouldn't engage. Not that I'm too bothered if it only does it once the engine is off, maybe it's a matter "breaking it in" ?