Damn speed bumps..

bengazzard

Ok.. You know those annoying really thin speed bumps..? Well.. Its the first time ive encountered them just before (going up) a ramp and in the middle of (going down) a ramp at a multistory. :angry:

Unfortunatly going down I pretty much ripped that piece of rubber just underneath the grill off and there wasnt much I coulda done about it.

Does anyone know where to pick up those clips that it fits on with? its hanging on by 2 of them right now so I wouldnt mind replacing them. :D

oh the clips, sorry the forum crashed on me while re-reading the question ;)

in the US they are much cheaper, I remember someone else from the deceased forum getting them, alternatively drop a PM to MrF on this forum, compare prices with the dealers and make your choice :)

I hate speed bumps too! I've even caught the odd one with the stock setup! :surrender: I'd much rather they used wiggles in the road, flashing signs and the sort rather than those fricken annoying things! Even when they're not damaging the car, it is no fun driving a sportily sprung car over them! :rant:

Anyway, you could try http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Holdcrofts for the clips. It's an eBay store that seems to stock all sorts and anything that isn't on the list, they can sometimes get hold of (like burger badges for instance). Good luck!

Ive never had to go into this with Derbyshire County Council, however now that I own a Z and the speed bumps may cause me issues, I may need to.

As the law stands, Speed Bumps are in place as speed restriction measures, i.e to ensure traffic is restricted to the legal limit. It is the law that all speed restriction measures should be constructed in a manner which allows them to be driven over at the posted legal limit, without damage to the vehicle or injury to the occupants.

If you cannot drive your vehicle over a hump in a 30 MPH zone, without causing damage to your vehicle, the speed restriction measure is illegal, and should be removed, if it is not removed, and by driving over this hump at the legal limit or below, you damage your vehicle, the local roads authority is liable for the damage.

If you write to your MP on this matter, he or his office are obliged to respond. I'll see if I can dig out the actual legislation...

It may be worth writing and asking if a member of the highways authority is willing to accompany you on a tour of your local town, driving over any speed restrictions you may encounter, at the legal limit, and at the end of the tour, would they be willing to personally pay for any damage caused to your vehicle. If they decline this offer, then it can be proven, to a degree, that they do not have confidence in their speed restriction measures being fully legal - if this is the case, you can then take it further.

Interesting stuff Chesterfield! I didn't realise the bit about them having to allow traffic pass over them at the said speed limit. It makes perfect sense of course, but I'm sure I could list a number of places in Southampton where this isn't the case. Next time I go over a nasty one, I'll remember where it is and get on to the local MP! :dry:

Unfortunatly this was a private multistory. Still could have a whinge to them about it.. I mean putting speed bumps on a ramp?! Who came up with that idea?!

Have contacted Holdcrofts via that ebay link..

£49.99 for the lower moulding, unfortunatly he cant just do the clips. Seems pretty reasonable, but am gonna contact a dealer for a comparison.

Anyone see the new speed humps that they've been trialing in Scotland. They're made of rubber and are inflated with air. They Deflate if you are going at the desired speed so don't cause damage to your car. Lets just Hope all the councils implement them quickly.