Advice on Amp & Sub

ec2a350z

Please could anyone give me advice on a good 10 inch sub and amp as I want new ones, I will keep the Bose head unit but I can't understand from previous threads exactly what ohms the Bose runs on I think it's 2ohms?

Thanks Lee

how much do you want to spend? what music you listen to? how much bass do you want? streetbaser, sq or sql? how much room do you want to lose?

Please could anyone give me advice on a good 10 inch sub and amp as I want new ones, I will keep the Bose head unit but I can't understand from previous threads exactly what ohms the Bose runs on I think it's 2ohms?

Thanks Lee

how much do you want to spend? what music you listen to? how much bass do you want? streetbaser, sq or sql? how much room do you want to lose?

+1

more info needed pls..

I listen to electro and house music, the total spent I had on mind was £600 for amp and x2 10inch subs and £140 for one of those sub boxes that goes underneath the strut brace a the back. Do the subs and amp both have to be 2 ohms? Is that the correct for Bose, I really want to keep speakers and head unit standard.

Thanks

I listen to electro and house music, the total spent I had on mind was £600 for amp and x2 10inch subs and £140 for one of those sub boxes that goes underneath the strut brace a the back. Do the subs and amp both have to be 2 ohms? Is that the correct for Bose, I really want to keep speakers and head unit standard.

Thanks

IMO you for that money you would be better off with one sub and amp but it is up to you. IMO 0.3cuft is quite small so it will limit your possible subs. Also if you are using your own amp then the impedance of the bose doesnt matter. You will have rca's to your amp then speaker wire to your sub. Depending on your sub and amp ohms will go from there. So you dont have to get an amp or sub that works at 2 ohm. You could get one that works at 4 or 1 or 2 if you wanted. Make sure the amp is matched to your sub.

Thanks

IMO you for that money you would be better off with one sub and amp but it is up to you. IMO 0.3cuft is quite small so it will limit your possible subs. Also if you are using your own amp then the impedance of the bose doesnt matter. You will have rca's to your amp then speaker wire to your sub. Depending on your sub and amp ohms will go from there. So you dont have to get an amp or sub that works at 2 ohm. You could get one that works at 4 or 1 or 2 if you wanted. Make sure the amp is matched to your sub.

+1

I agree on all points above, the sub you run and it's configuration (if multiple of dual voice coil) will determine what ohms it will run at (aim for 4 Ohm imho - nice and safe). I would run one good 10inch as i'm guessing there really isn't the volume in one of those under brace boxes to run two 10inch woofers at anywhere near the right volume - even for a sealed box - although i haven't had a good look at the enclosure in question. One will sound better at the right volume than two with with too little volume. I know your budget is tight, but actually i would start by replacing the H.U. and door speakers (components) first then adding an amp and a sub later (and powering the new door speakers from the amp also). For house music etc, if your not too bothered about really low bass, you will get plenty of tight punchy bass out of a pair of 8inch subs at a lot less cost AND at a lot less enclosure volume. They can sound really nice if tuned correctly :)

keep us posted, be nice to see more audio build threads on here :D

I have one of the under-strut sub boxes and I definitely agree that one good 10 inch sub is the way to go with one of those. The box volume is only about 0.7 ft so it won't be enough for two 10 inch subs. Even with a single 10 you'll need to be careful about which one you use. The CDT ES10SQ I'm running provides more than enough bass, I can't see why anyone would need two!

I'd definitely recommend changing the head unit too, the Bose is pretty rubbish!

If you go and have a look on the TalkAudio forum the For Sale section is full of great kit at very reasonable prices. That's the route I went. By buying my amps and sub second hand I saved a fortune and ended up with a much better setup than I could have afforded buying new stuff. :thumbs: A lot fo the stuff For Sale on there has never been used too. My sub was £500 new and the previous owner only did a test fit in his car before deciding to abandon the project and sold it to me for £200. :)

How much of your budget is to be spent on cables, sound proofing and install materials?

What Ikarus says is pretty much the rest of it. Would like to hear your car as mine is a JL SQ set-up as well.... ;):)

How much of your budget is to be spent on cables, sound proofing and install materials?

Good call! Somehow i forgot about about that - no idea how i could have, i spent most of xmas and several weekends after fitting mine in the rain / snow :cold:. My mind must have blanked the whole painfull experience :lol:

What Ikarus says is pretty much the rest of it. Would like to hear your car as mine is a JL SQ set-up as well.... ;):)

Me too, i should be attending a good spread of shows and meetings this yr so your more than welcome :). Without wishing to hijack this thread, I'm going to start an audio build thread on my install once its back from the trimmer. You got a thread on your install anwhere?