Bypassing the Bose Amp

rfrancsics

Hiya All!

I am sure this has been mentioned before but could someone please enlighten me as to where to look to find the Bose Amp.

Was having a good route-about in the boot yesterday . Maybe I’m going blind but I just couldn’t find it.

I am now in the process of considering how I might go about replacing the rather sad excuse for factory in-car-entertainment that Nissan saw fit to place. Sound only out of right-hand channel anyone.....

Ideas include replacement:

head-unit

front speakers

rear speakers

Sub in custom enclosure located between strut-brace and rear passenger panel

Amplification

Q:

Would it be possible to bypass the Bose Amp and ‘tap into’ the speaker loom in the boot at some point just beyond the output end of the amp. If so, where abouts would I have to look? Is there a simple connector that could be used once the Bose amp is disconnected ?

Having investigated the possibility of re-wiring the speakers it appears running new cable to the front doors is complete missions-( it would involve having to drill/melt thru the existing connectors.)

I appreciate that using the existing wiring might not suit the bat-eared audio purists out there, but in as noisy a cabin as the 350’s I’m not sure I could tell the difference......

Much thanks for your help/ in-put

Hi mate,

I personally wouldn't bother trying to bypass the amp(s). You actually have two amps; one in the boot to power the 4 speakers and one in the enclosure behind to sub (to power the sub). If you remove the ashtray and 2 screws at the back of the centre consol it's very easy to lift the whole centre consol and run two RCA's, a constant live from the battery and a remote live to a new amp to the enclosures behind the seats. I have mounted my old but trusty Alpine V12 4 channel in the glove box behind the passenger seat. There are lots of holes from the original loom so no need to cut / hack any of the trim to do so. You are spoilt for choice in terms of places to earth to the amp. Myself and many others have simply disconnected the rear speakers and spent more on door speakers. I am running a pair of focals in the doors and a sub in the back; powered by a 4 channel amp bridging channels 3&4 for the sub.

The door speaker cable is a pig of the job - the worst part of the install IMO. IRRC the bottom half of the door / footwell loom connectors are blank pins so you can drill through there and run your cable into the door that way. I actually used a current meter and clipped the original speaker wire either side of the connector so I’ve use about 4 inches of Nissan speaker wire in my whole set up.

If you take your time you can do it in a weekend. I am not sure I would trust those thin Nissan cables to power a 'real' amp. Sound quality issues aside you could end up causing a fire, I have seen thin cables smoke and get very hot when used to power systems beyond their capabilities.

I am not saying my way is best (far from it) just giving you a few pointers :thumbs:

Matt

I've just fit Hertz speakers in my doors and my new amp and rear speakers should be here tomorrow.

Fed new cables onto the doors today, quite an easy job but very fidly and very hard to feed the wire up the rubber! I can't my hands now, they're ripped to shreads!