Where to get a supercharger.

PZR

I'm sure this has been asked before, But I had a look and couldn't see anything.

So here goes, I'm having a hard time finding superchargers online, in the UK.

So far all I can find is http://www.tdi-plc.com/350Z.html

Which isn't really what I was after.

I won't be buying it for sometime, so it's not really urgent.

But it'd be nice to see what I can get my hands on in the UK.

Guest prescience

Mike,

Nice of you to mention me in this but really this is a difficult one.

PZR I think you really need to think this through and identify what it is you are after and when - then I am sure with more details, help will be available :)

I'm after a twin-screw supercharger really, but so far I've only found one, which isn't suitable.

I want to take the engine up to 380 to 410BHP, I don't really want to go over 410BHP for the sake of the engine, and the fact it'll need more internal mods if I go to much over 410.

But all I seem to be finding is the HKS centrifugal kit.

Like I said, it's not urgent, it's more research for the moment, of who supplies them, and where, for how much.

I've got some other mods lined in mind first before I get to a supercharger, but I thought I might aswell look for them early ;)

Guest prescience

Thee are no twin-screw superchargers available for the Z (to the best of my knowledge)

You are resticted to

Centrifugal: HKS, Vortech, ATi

Roots: Stillen

The Vortech is the most tuneable and is one of the cheapest. This has been used fairly widely on Euro cars

The ATi has suffered more engine failures than the others since it does not incorporate timing adjustment as part of the kit - you need to add it; this has rarely been used on Euro cars

The HKS is perhaps the best manufactured but is expensive and less tuneable than say Vortech. This has been used fairly widely on Euro cars

The Stillen is available in about 4 stages (Stage 4 requires a built motor and Stage 1 has no intercooler for example) but is completely non-tuneable but does benefit from a engine warranty. This has been used only infrequently on Euro cars

All of the above (except the Stage 1 and 2 Stillen) should achieve the power levels you wish for :)

Guest prescience

In terms of supply.

Vortech is best imported from the US

HKS is available from at least TDI PLC (a member on this board), Abbey Motorsport and Middlehurst (St Helens)

Stillen is available from Mr.F a trader on this board

ATi would be best imported

You can reasearch all of these on any of the following US Forced Induction forums

http://www.my350z.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=182 and

http://www.350zmotoring.com/forums/foru ... rune=&f=44 and

http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/index.p ... owforum=80

From what I gather, you need to use a modified bonnet to fit the Stillen supercharger in the engine bay?

Which I think looks awful, unless of course I can find a bonnet that suits it, in which case I'd go the Stillen route.

But it's the boost throughout the RPM range that I want really, which a centrifugal can't seem to deliver, and is essentially just a belt driven turbocharger, so there would still be some amount of lag, so they seem to be the worst of the lot.

Or am I wrong?

Guest prescience
Research is your friend :)

Why research when he can cheat and ask you :)

Well, a 'thanks for your efforts' would've been nice ;)

Research is your friend :)

Why research when he can cheat and ask you :)

Well, a 'thanks for your efforts' would've been nice ;)

Sorry mate, didn't mean to come across as ungrateful. :blush:

I appreciate you helping me out :):thumbs:

Guest prescience

Its OK - perhaps I was peeved that you dised my S/C as the 'worst of the lot' LOL

I think you are not quite right, there is not really lag (cf turbo lag) with a centrifugal S/C as such but it is true that the boost builds higher in the rev range. Its a bit like stock but more so, without a kick in the back as per the turbo.

For the Roots style, this is certainly the most inefficient in terms of power delivery (because of how it works - wikipedia is very good for this BTW) but is does get peak boost as early as 2000 rpm. Other than the bonnet, which I'll come to, there is another disadvantage with the Stillen - it suffers more from heat soak due to where the S/C has to be placed (centrally in the engine bay); this is ameliorated somwhat by an intercooler which is essential for Stillen (and is included with all the other kits BTW), but it will be more of an issue than say with Vortech IMO.

The bonnet is a problem, if you don't like it (and neither do I) nothing will persuade you. Some guys in the US have been experimenting very recently with longer hinges to raise the stock bonnet up, but this must leave a gap somewhere surely?

Its OK - perhaps I was peeved that you dised my S/C as the 'worst of the lot' LOL

Heheh, sorry ;)

I think you are not quite right, there is not really lag (cf turbo lag) with a centrifugal S/C as such but it is true that the boost builds higher in the rev range. Its a bit like stock but more so, without a kick in the back as per the turbo.

Do you by any chance have a dyno reading from your Z before and after your supercharger?

It would be nice to see what sort of power gains it gets lower in the rev range, since that was an appeal of a blower/twin screw type, having the boost much earlier, all the way to the top end.

Other than the bonnet, which I'll come to, there is another disadvantage with the Stillen - it suffers more from heat soak due to where the S/C has to be placed (centrally in the engine bay); this is ameliorated somwhat by an intercooler which is essential for Stillen (and is included with all the other kits BTW), but it will be more of an issue than say with Vortech IMO.

Yeah I noticed that on the links you gave me, it's putting more stress on

the engine aswell then.

The bonnet is a problem, if you don't like it (and neither do I) nothing will persuade you. Some guys in the US have been experimenting very recently with longer hinges to raise the stock bonnet up, but this must leave a gap somewhere surely?

Yeah the bulge in the bonnets just looks wrong on a Z, if I could find one that suited it, I would possibly go the Stillen route.

From what I gather, a blower type would be the most reliable, but would it be the most reliable in terms of the engine aswell?

I want to get the most reliable system I can really.

Guest prescience

No I don't have a before/after dyno. Stephen G may have though. With a large displacement motor I don't think its such an issue low down; you really would need to drive one IMO - all the charts in the world won't give you the full SP. The Vortech is a nice system and overall the best of the S/Cs in my opinion due to its cost, tuneability, ease of install/de-install etc

As I say Stillen give you an engine warranty with their system, so if that is important to you, that's a big plus. Contact them and ask if they extend that warranty worldwide and what it covers etc

which apparently it won't :dry: Golfer

PZR, I wouldn't bother with a Stillen: MrF has the stage 4 (Iirc) and still can't do faster than 13.8 at the 1/4 mile, that's about 0.5 seconds faster than my NA Z. His kit keeps overheating and heat soak is a real issue. IMO I'd go with either a Vortech or a TT kit like the APS

Guest prescience

A Stage 4 is only available with a built motor - has Mike had that done :scare: Much more likely he's running Stage 2 (which is the only one with the warranty, I've checked)

Hmm, looks like stillens aren't to great after all then, and like prescience said, on their website it only mentions Stage 2 having a warranty.

Shame really, since most of the reason I want a supercharger was because of the twin screw and blower power delivery over a centrifugal, I'm sure a centrifugal will still be nice though ;)

What would you say is the most reliable of the centrifugals then?

I'm taking a guess at HKS?

Cheers.