Lightweight Aluminium Pulley

bradleykit

I am planning to change my 350z's pulley to Lightweight pulley, but when I search for it. A lot of them says they are underdrive pulley, but what do they mean by that? And will it damage my car, if I get the underdrive one? :wacko:

Underdrive pullies mean they will "drive" whatever systems are attached to it less than the current one, ie the pullie will be smaller and each revolution of it will spin the attached pullies less. I think they are used on cars which rev more than stock and thus when they get up the rev range, dont overdrive the attached other bits and bobs (alternator, AC, etc). Thats my take on it, someone more knowledgable will be along to correct me if wrong :thumbs:

Basically unless you know you want an underdrive one, you want a standard size.

Dont underdrive pullyies underdrive so there is less drag or parasitic drag on the engine? But if you under drive the alternator then dont run a massive audio system. I could be wrong though.

thats about it , wont increase BHP but will show a minuet amount more at the wheels as its not driving the ancilleries as much.

Yeah just got the whole set of Unorthodox Racing pulley kit, and belts (underdrive one), also ask the people in the shop (Top Racing, Hong Kong) They say this will not cause any problem to the car, but will increase 10 hp and will give a much faster respone, coz of the weight.

Well will get it installed sometime this week, and see.. :yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...

lightweight pulleys dont GIVE any power, they reduce drag, you wont gain any power but you may find the car will pick up a little quicker.

im not sure if its the same with the 350 as im used to 200sx's, but they have a built in damper in the crank pulley,(cant remember the technical name, resonance dampner???) but when people were swapping out for lightweight pulleys they were finding the main bearings went soon after, but not sure if its the same with the 350,

let us know how you get on, and yeah under drive is exactly what people have already said, you may find you need to find differant belts tho as the pulleys are a differant size