Seems Like another JDM won't start !!!!

Nik397

Have looked at previous posts on 350's with problems starting.

Since the big freeze the Z doesn't start everytime. The car has a clifford alarm and all power is fine and the electrics and fuel pump come on when the ignition is turned but sometimes the car won't start. How strange!!!

There is no pattern on when it won't start and is totally random, Clifford techs have had a look and have ruled out the alarm and immobiliser so next step a vehicle sparky.

Will post up the outcome to help others who may come across the problem

Hi Mike, noted and took on board.

At my trusted garage thursday and will get them to check the Battery, the engine turns over but nothing which as an example like the starter ( just turning but not starting), can leave for a minute and then hey presto starts or after locking then unlocking car on the alarm fob will start but not every time.

Hopefully the trusted guys at the garage will diagnose the problem, my first thought was the alarm but after clifford techs have looked and explained that the fuel pump and electrics come on fine as per normal the problem is not the immobiliser or alarm.

Thought i would of seen you at the Krispy Kreems meet last sat.

Hi Mike, noted and took on board.

At my trusted garage thursday and will get them to check the Battery, the engine turns over but nothing which as an example like the starter ( just turning but not starting), can leave for a minute and then hey presto starts or after locking then unlocking car on the alarm fob will start but not every time.

Hopefully the trusted guys at the garage will diagnose the problem, my first thought was the alarm but after clifford techs have looked and explained that the fuel pump and electrics come on fine as per normal the problem is not the immobiliser or alarm.

Thought i would of seen you at the Krispy Kreems meet last sat.

I originally was going to come but then had to cancel a couple of weeks before hand as was having fiited my new wheels on the 6th.

Only thing to further suggest is a good auto electrician. I only hope its not the BCM. It gets mighty expensive then but think alex or lee can cover parts for it but not so sure with yours being a JDM

Well cheers for informing of the BCM

Was there a few years back what a great place didn't think it was expensive these days to get to Magaluf.

The only BCM iv'e heard of is the club in Majorca so Please enlighten me or just call me dumb, preferbly the first

Cheers and how are the wheels

check your throttle body, keeps getting pretty dirty on mine and needs a good clean. have you tried this when it doesnt start:

hit the accelerator to the floor and keep turning the engine about 5 times then turn the key to the off position, start it again and this time pump it a few times, once you hear the engine starts (if it does) floor it and keep it there. happened to mine a few times when the cold nip was here, only when it first started I drove to quick and the engine cut out...

Well cheers for informing of the BCM

Was there a few years back what a great place didn't think it was expensive these days to get to Magaluf.

The only BCM iv'e heard of is the club in Majorca so Please enlighten me or just call me dumb, preferbly the first

Cheers and how are the wheels

think it stands for Body Control Module.

check your throttle body, keeps getting pretty dirty on mine and needs a good clean. have you tried this when it doesnt start:

hit the accelerator to the floor and keep turning the engine about 5 times then turn the key to the off position, start it again and this time pump it a few times, once you hear the engine starts (if it does) floor it and keep it there. happened to mine a few times when the cold nip was here, only when it first started I drove to quick and the engine cut out...

its weird though how locking and unlocking the car can get the car to start. Sounds more intermittent electrical fault. Worth a check all the same though

• 1 month later...

Update on the Trouble starting problem / Garage had the Z for a few days and sods law the car started every time but once plugged in to the ecu three error codes came up.

P1610

P1614

P1615

Immobilizer Malfunction

Looking at going to dealer but being import unsure if they will diagnose correctly and can always be expensive, Since coming out of the garage car is playing up again and seems worse so this week needs to go in hopefully once it starts

Update on the Trouble starting problem / Garage had the Z for a few days and sods law the car started every time but once plugged in to the ecu three error codes came up.

P1610

P1614

P1615

Immobilizer Malfunction

Looking at going to dealer but being import unsure if they will diagnose correctly and can always be expensive, Since coming out of the garage car is playing up again and seems worse so this week needs to go in hopefully once it starts

Is it a factory immobiliser/alarm, if not could you take it to another alarm expert? Either way, the dealer may palm it off to a alarm expert and charge you extra (double handling).

Have you tried this?

NISSAN VEHICLE IMMOBILIZER SYSTEM (NVIS)

The Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer System will not allow the engine to start without the use of the registered Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer System key. If the engine fails to start using the registered Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer System key, it may be due to interference caused by another Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer System key, an automated toll road device or automated payment device on the key ring. Restart the engine using the following procedures: 1. Leave the ignition switch in the ON position for approximately 5 seconds. 2. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF or LOCK position and wait approximately 10 seconds. 3. Repeat step 1 and 2 again. 4. Restart the engine while holding the device (which may have caused the interference) separate from the registered Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer System key. If this procedure allows the engine to start, NISSAN recommends placing the registered

Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer System key on a separate key ring to avoid interference from other devices. Statement related to section 15 of FCC rules for Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer System (CONT ASSY-BCM, ANT ASSYIMMOBILIZER) This device complies with part 15 of the FCC Rules and RSS-210 of Industry Canada. Operation is subject to the following two conditions; (1) This device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation of the device. CHANGES OR MODIFICATIONS NOT EXPRESSLY APPROVED BY THE MANUFACTURE RESPONSIBLE FOR COMPLIANCE COULD VOID THE USER’S AUTHORITY TO OPERATE THE EQUIPMENT.

SIC1699

Have you tried this?

NISSAN VEHICLE IMMOBILIZER SYSTEM (NVIS)

The Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer System will not allow the engine to start without the use of the registered Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer System key. If the engine fails to start using the registered Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer System key, it may be due to interference caused by another Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer System key, an automated toll road device or automated payment device on the key ring. Restart the engine using the following procedures: 1. Leave the ignition switch in the ON position for approximately 5 seconds. 2. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF or LOCK position and wait approximately 10 seconds. 3. Repeat step 1 and 2 again. 4. Restart the engine while holding the device (which may have caused the interference) separate from the registered Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer System key. If this procedure allows the engine to start, NISSAN recommends placing the registered

Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer System key on a separate key ring to avoid interference from other devices. Statement related to section 15 of FCC rules for Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer System (CONT ASSY-BCM, ANT ASSYIMMOBILIZER) This device complies with part 15 of the FCC Rules and RSS-210 of Industry Canada. Operation is subject to the following two conditions; (1) This device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation of the device. CHANGES OR MODIFICATIONS NOT EXPRESSLY APPROVED BY THE MANUFACTURE RESPONSIBLE FOR COMPLIANCE COULD VOID THE USER’S AUTHORITY TO OPERATE THE EQUIPMENT.

SIC1699

+1

If you have aftermarket alarms or devices installed as generally are on JDM's your at the mercy of the installer- depends how much care they take - if its a get it in quick and dirty job as he has 5 to do that day and will get his £300 per car then he wont care, a lot of work I've seen like this has been messy - messy wiring never trimmed to length just rolled up and tucked out of sight! Half the time these cables get interference or cause interference - somehow I knew that the alarm company would deny any issues before I even got to read that part of your post! :lol:

A good auto electrician will be able to diagnose it for you hope you get it sorted soon :thumbs:

Cheers all for your posts :D

Z is back now and all was needed was the keys reprogramming, no explanation on why they needed reprogramming but glad to get back on the road.

BIG CHEERS TO ALL POSTS