Where can i get a good flywheel from??

gunmetalzgt

I read and hear everywhere that if your going to replace the clutch you should always replace the flywheel at same time.

OK, the reason that in most cases the dual mass flywheel has to changed when the clutch is replaced is because of the following: like the clutch back plate there are springs or in some cases a compliant material that sits between the flywheel clutch surface and the clutch disc. This wears the same as the clutch back plate, so if you just replace the clutch disc, back plate and thrust bearing you may get clutch slip if the tension between the mating surface in the dual mass flywheel and the flywheel itself has lost tension. When a clutch is replaced, the main agent should check the tension of the Dual mass flywheel (with a special tension measuring tool) and if the tension does not meet the manufacturers spec then the DM flywheel has to be replaced.

This is very common in diesel cars where dual mass flywheels are used all the time. The dual mass allows a nice smooth torque delivery and reduces clutch bite or snatching due to the immense torque involved with diesel engined cars. The same would be true for the 350Z as that produces a fair amount or torque and power too. :)

Even a normal non dual mass flywheel may need replacing if the clutch disc has worn and the rivets securing the plate material have scored into the flywheel. Its similar to your brake disc wearing (scoring) if the pad material wears down to the metal.

To be honest it depends on your intentions for the car. If you are keeping it to run it into the ground and its not a daily driver and more a fun toy, I'd say go for the lightweight flywheel. If its a daily driver (lots of traffic) and you want to sell it on easily or part ex it, I'd say stick with the dual mass as it does make it easier to deal with.

I love my lightweight flywheel (Fidanza) but it can be a pain in the butt sometimes!

Well it's my daily driver and see's a lot of traffic so on that basis I think I might stick to just a new clutch. Thanks for the advice :thumbs:

I'd suggest you get out and try one first if you can. Plenty of members around can show you theirs I'm sure, dont write it off on my opinion. As stated above, you most likely need to replace the dual mass one anyway, so you wont save any dosh. Its personal preference :thumbs: