wanted : uprated dampers / gas lifters

janz70

Im after some uprated dampers / gas lifters for the rear hatch of my Zed - ings spoiler to heavy for OEM ones - keeps giving me a headache

any pointers

Where are you based? I'm going to sgs-engineering (http://www.sgs-engineering.com/pages/home) in Derby this Friday to have some fitted and gased correctly. I have a blitz spoiler and some sound deadening on the tail and so i'm in a similar situation to you. These guys will adjust the gas pressure on a pair of new uprated dampers to suit the car and give a 2 yr guarentee - for around 65 of my pounds. They do sell them direct from their website but its difficult to know the right pressure to buy, hence i arranged a visit to get them spot on.

Will let you know how it goes at the weekend if you want :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just fitted mine, bought from SGS as per last post. Needed to dremmel the old OEM ball joint socket (alum) but it was easy enough tbh and there are guides on the net - only took 10 mins. Fit and look is spot on. I had my struts gassed to +15% of OEM, which as OEM are set at 400N, equates to 460N. I'm told these struts are good to 1200N so 460N is not going to cause an problems. I read on the yank site that people were buying them at +30% and they were too powerfull and hitting the upper bump stops a bit too hard, hence i went for +15%, midway. SGS can add more gas to these if necessary, you can return them in the post and for free they will adjust them, a good service i felt.

I thought i would update the post as i needed to do a reasonable amount of research and still ended up taking a punt at the pressure, but it turned out great :)

^ this link is your bonnet damper kit not boot struts.

Incedently though, is your bonnet kit for all zed's or do imports / early / later zeds etc vary? I might be interested in a set of these.

Sorry, :wacko: boot struts are being made as we speak. Bonnet Dampers are suitable for all Zeds, just need to know if you have an OEM or carbon bonnet and if you want chrome or black. Next batch should be here end of next week as we have just sold the last set :)