Best Spec for used Z

Hi All, first time poster

Im 99% sure on the 350Z for my next car. Have always liked them.

I almost put a deposit on one when they first came out but went for the RX8 instead.. :blush: ...difficult choice without driving either car, but I have no regrets owning the RX8 and hopefully now I can experience the Z as well.

Im hoping to get a 2004/2005 GT for around £20k, but what are the best combinations to have:

Rays - I know they are lighter, but are they generally regarded as better?I quite like the look of the standard ones myself.

Alezan Leather - Not sure about the colour. Is it a bit garish and better off staying with black, or does it lighten up the cabin?

Colour - Black is top of my list, followed by Gunmetal and Azure I think. What is normally most popular?

GT4 Model - I know this has the 300ps engine which would be nice :D , but they all seem around £24/25k and is it really worth a £3/4k premium over a standard GT. Love the 5 spoke alloys on these tho.

I just have to get rid of my current motor now, or find someone willing to do a part-ex.

I know I need to become a regular poster on here to advertise, but if anyone is looking for nice fast economical diesel estate with 210bhp and 310lb/ft then send them my way ;)

Ive done lots of searches and read lots of threads but any other used buying advice welcomed.....

Thanks

Mark

:welcome: MarkW

this one went through on ebay just a couple of days ago. Very good value and no one ended up bidding on it. May be worth getting in touch with the seller.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2005-NISSAN-350Z- ... dZViewItem

As regards spec. It seems to be down to what you are going to do with the car. If you were going to do a lot of mods like change the wheels or a re trim or new stereo, it's not worth going for a GT. If you like it in mainly factory spec then it's worth considering. I like the rays and yes they are lighter. The GT4 wheels are heavier. All new Z's are now the same spec engine as GT4's. Don't think there is that much in it but you get more exclusivity with a GT4 over the rest of the Zs as they are a limited run.

:welcome: Mark

Defo go Kuro but all I will say is it's extremely hard to keep clean :blush: Azure seems to be the most popular around Manchester :p !!!

Std wheels are nicer imo, Ray's far to common :thumbdown:

If your local to Northwest, might be able to point you in the direction of a dealer who may be interested in taking a RX8 off your hands....

Liam

Hi Mark & hello

If your liking the Kuro can I suggest that you find one with Alezan leather will really brighten up the car.... black car & upholstry makes it 2 dark IMO. plus the orange & black are a good combo.

My missus has the gunmetal with Alezan and although I wasnt sure when she ordered it...it was the right choice..it also has standard alloys which actually look bigger than rays :thumbs:

The car in standard tune aint that slow so unless your wanting to rag it a bit more, then the earlier power of 280bhp ish is pretty good.

Hope it helps

GT4 Model - I know this has the 300ps engine which would be nice :D , but they all seem around £24/25k and is it really worth a £3/4k premium over a standard GT. Love the 5 spoke alloys on these tho.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I would say that as I recently swapped my black GT with alezan for a (banana) yellow GT4 :thumbs:

Here are some pics of the interior which I loved :teeth:

interior.jpg

:thumbs:

I'd agree with the comments above about the interior, personally when I saw the black interior I wanted something to contrast against the dash, door panels, boot etc. It's nowhere near as garish as the Nissan website makes it look!!

I was going for a black interior until I stumbled across mine and I wouldn't change it now. :D

Good point also about modding it - if you're going for retrim, wheels, etc. it doesn't make much difference.

According to the map IIRC the most popular colour is Gunmetal?

Thanks for all your comments :thumbs:

Im not looking to go down the modding route, done that in the past with several cars and I just want something to keep std this time :D

I would be keen on a GT4 if I could find one circa £21/£22k, cant be yellow tho as my g/f would dump me lol

I think kuro with alzean and std alloys would do fine, but i'd compromise on the colour for a good price....

Just gotta sell my car now.....Its a modded A4 2.5TDi Quattro not the RX8 by the way...

What's the spec of the audi?

And on a bit of a tangent... are you keeping the RX8? If not, why are you changing to the Z?

I ask because we had multiple test drives in boththe Z and RX8 before choosing the Z - I love the RX8's interior and that dash - especially the rev counter!

In the end, the oil guzzling put us off a bit (it's the wife's car), and the fact that the Z had more torque so more driveable in traffic (?) and had better brakes swayed us to the Z.

In terms of buying spec - just get as much as you can for the price! Std cars are likely to be more difficult to sell on...

Then she has no taste :lol:

Havent seen one in the flesh, but I think the yellow looks good :)

What's the spec of the audi?

And on a bit of a tangent... are you keeping the RX8? If not, why are you changing to the Z?

Sorry a bit of confusion here, I havent got the rx8 any more, just the Audi. The spec is as follows:

A4 Avant 2.5TDi V6 QS

Silver

FASH

34k miles

2004 Model

Registered December 2003/53

Quattro 4WD

ECU remap by AMD:

210bhp

310 lb/ft

Sport Model with:

GmbH Bodykit

Sports seats

Lower Sports suspension

17" Star Alloys

Dual Climate

Half Leather/Alcantara Seats

In dash 6CD Changer

Centre Arm Rest

Up for £16995 at the mo

So far ive been offered 2 WRXs, a TTR, an R32, a Tuscan, and a Boxster S for swaps, but unfortunately no 350Zs.

Got a test drive on Saturday in a 05 Sunset GT :teeth: up for £23995

Stealer also has a 05 UY GT4 for £23995. Is that a a good price as there are 3 private GT4s on Pistonheads asking more than that?

Both about 7k miles.

Got a test drive on Saturday in a 05 Sunset GT :teeth: up for £23995

Stealer also has a 05 UY GT4 for £23995. Is that a a good price as there are 3 private GT4s on Pistonheads asking more than that?

Both about 7k miles.

Your telling me that a limited edition is the same price as a sunset :dry:

Sunset defo overpriced imo, GT4 bought right ;)

Well had a test drive on Saturday, got to take it out for an hour (GT not GT4) and it was very enjoyable B)

Great to be driving a RWD car again and almost everything just felt right. Steering feel was good, gearchange was enjoyable, sounded great, lots of fun booting it round roundabouts :teeth:

Only minor critiscisms were that the car seemed to suffer from clutch judder pulling off, rear visibility isnt brilliant and it didnt feel as subjectively quick as I was expecting. More down to the linear power delivery of the NA engine I guess, and I know I was gong fast from the speedo!

My car is now on ebay plus several other sites so Im hoping to sell and have the cash to buy a used one soon.

One question though is that I'd decided I wanted the GT model, but there do seem to be a number of non GTs around. I'm not bothered about cruise, I like leather but is the cloth any good? as it can sometimes hold you better and be less hot in the summer, and is the non-bose stereo any good as Im not a Bose fan anyway?

For the same money would I be better off buying a newer lower mileage non GT? (There's a nice Azure non GT with Rays and Nismo kit on Autotrader at the mo) Or is the GT the more desireable model when it comes to resale, and is this reflected in the price?

Defo want a UK car not import tho...

shouldn't be getting clutch judder.

A lot o f members will say that the GT is overpriced for what you get. I think its down to personnal preference. I wanted a GT and got one. As for sliding scale against a non GT, not sure on that but may be a tad easier trying to sell a GT

Also depends if others drive the car and if electric adjustment helps it, I personally preferred the leather option. As for holding you, I've never had any problems with my leather not supporting me. IMO the seats in this car are top notch as a balance for comfort and support.

As for the BOSE, I'm by no means a fan having competed at Ultra level for a while and know what a good car can sound like, but it's not bad for most listener's ears. If you set it up sensibly it'll sound OK. If you're going to change the standard set-up then it would be a waste of cash.

The clutch judder is probably due to a knackered release bearing (just had mine done under warranty). If the car in question is under warranty and/or the seller will sort it go for it, if not walk away - its a big job (mine was in for 2 days).

Guest prescience

Leather re-trims are available for about 500 notes and are VASTLY superior both in terms of materials and quality to the stock items IMO. I have a different one and must get some pics up.

This takes leather out of the equation and for me, given that I don't rate the BOSE and electric/heated seats is irrelevant (stored in garage, and since Im the only one who drives it [very occasionally :blush:]) it does come down to cruise control. I personally think cruise control is for executive saloons and not for sports coupes :dry: