Fitment of KAAZ diff

Steady Zeddy

I'm fitting a new Kaaz 2 way diff at the moment - not as straightforward as I thought it'd be and need some advice re additional bits needed to get the diff set-up reliably.

I have already bought diff and extra piece to convert to 1.5 way plus gear oil etc.

Also bought the 10 ring gear bolts, Circlips x2 , side oil seals x2 and side bearings x 2 but I understand I may also need to get hold of the correct sized shims for my 03 ex-UK car (the supercharged Zed that used to be owned by Spills and Dave).

Can anyone shed any light on what shims I need to get hold of as my local Nissan stealer can't really help much? They mentioned there was 12 different sizes of shims - will I have to open the diff to find out what size I need? (and therefore this will take a lot longer than expected as the Zed will be out of action while I source the shims).

I'm fitting a new Kaaz 2 way diff at the moment - not as straightforward as I thought it'd be and need some advice re additional bits needed to get the diff set-up reliably.

I have already bought diff and extra piece to convert to 1.5 way plus gear oil etc.

Also bought the 10 ring gear bolts, Circlips x2 , side oil seals x2 and side bearings x 2 but I understand I may also need to get hold of the correct sized shims for my 03 ex-UK car (the supercharged Zed that used to be owned by Spills and Dave).

Can anyone shed any light on what shims I need to get hold of as my local Nissan stealer can't really help much? They mentioned there was 12 different sizes of shims - will I have to open the diff to find out what size I need? (and therefore this will take a lot longer than expected as the Zed will be out of action while I source the shims).

Yes mate, you will not know what thickness of shims will be required until you start the set up.

I will reply to your pm later tonight. :thumbs:

Cheers,

Alex.

This might help you Shane:

I take it that it is the new 24 plate Kaaz lsd that you are installing

This link will give you the Kaaz install manual.

http://www.limited-slip.com/acatalog/ka ... ctions.pdf

And below is a DIY picture step by step of the overhaul.

Not the way that I would exactly do it but it will give you a general idea.

http://www.nicoclub.com/articles.php?id=217546

#14 /15 refers to the shims and of course there is no gasket.

PS.

Technically you also have to adjust pinion depth, preload from the side, as well as placing the ring gear properly side to side.....

This is all done with shims and the starting point would be by re-using the old shims in the same places.

Cheers,

Alex

Thanks Alex - Yes it is the 24 plate Kaaz diff - It came with the Kaaz install manual - I'm just kinda stuck on what size shims I need and where to source them.

I'll get the diff opened and measure them up I guess.

It may be possible that the existing shims will be the correct size.

If not do you know where to source shims - I guess these don't exactly come with OE part No.s?

Thanks Alex - Yes it is the 24 plate Kaaz diff - It came with the Kaaz install manual - I'm just kinda stuck on what size shims I need and where to source them.

I'll get the diff opened and measure them up I guess.

It may be possible that the existing shims will be the correct size.

If not do you know where to source shims - I guess these don't exactly come with OE part No.s?

I can get the shims for you mate, all I would require is the thickness that you require.

I will talk to Nissan today and try and get all the different sizes that are available and all the part numbers for you.

To make things easier for me could you pm me over your full VIN number. :thumbs:

Hi Shane, further to your pm's and phone call please find below the schematic of the rear final drive unit.

Shim (A) there are 8 different thicknesses of these ranging from 3.05 to 3.26.

Shim (B) there are 14 different thicknesses of these ranging from 2.00 to 2.65

Shim © there are 22 different thicknesses of these ranging from 0.80 to 1.49

Hope that this helps :thumbs:

scan0003-3.jpg