Electrical Problem

danZman

Hello, I am looking for some advise on what is wrong with my fairladyZ.

Got to the car tonight, tried to unlock it, alarm started uncontrollably going off, even my FOB wouldnt stop it. After the 3rd round of sirens it went off.

Got in the car, started it, seemed fine, but im sure the car lost power at some point because:

1. My cd player settings were reset.

2. My engine management light for a faulty lambda sensor had gone.

Started to drive the car, and everytime I came to a stop, when the revs dropped back down to idle they would dip below to about 200 rpm and then bounce back to 600 where they should be.

I assumed this was the ECU "relearning" my car, but after a 15 mile trip it was still doing it.

After I got home, I tried starting my car, it starts but immediately falls past idle and dies.

The only way I can start it is to give it a small bit of accelerator for a second or two then it manages to idle.

What the hell happened! On the way to work it was absolutely fine! Came back and it was fooked! Im right in the middle of buying a house now so I damn hope this aint expensive to fix. :thumbdown:

Mine would stall from cold when i first bought it. Was a bit worried about it to say the least ! A good mate of mine (ian-r, now a new Zed owner himself) came round to take a look at it in Feb 2008. He pulled the large hose off the throttle body, and used some carb cleaner to clean the throttle body butterfly valve (it was filthy) lots of grey/light black dirt build up.

After putting the hose back on, i started the car - hey presto, good, clean start !

I've occasionally checked the butterfly valve in the last few years, and its totally clean. I can only assume the previous owner didnt service the car as often as i do lol

NOTE: a word of warning - the butterfly valve is pretty sensitive. Be V E R Y carefull when you clean it (if you do). I would also recommend doing a throttle position reset after you clean it and re-seat the hose. This will set the throttle body back into the correct position (sticky about this on this very forum i think).

Hope this helps !

As other have said, the stalling could be due to a voltage/battery issue. If the car stalled/went bonkers for no reason, its quite possible that you (at the very least) need to do a throttle reset to get the car to "re-learn" its throttle position settings at idle etc. That should cure the dodgy starts - but sounds like an electrical issue is the root cause of the car going bonkers to begin with.

Mine would stall from cold when i first bought it. Was a bit worried about it to say the least ! A good mate of mine (ian-r, now a new Zed owner himself) came round to take a look at it in Feb 2008. He pulled the large hose off the throttle body, and used some carb cleaner to clean the throttle body butterfly valve (it was filthy) lots of grey/light black dirt build up.

After putting the hose back on, i started the car - hey presto, good, clean start !

I've occasionally checked the butterfly valve in the last few years, and its totally clean. I can only assume the previous owner didnt service the car as often as i do lol

NOTE: a word of warning - the butterfly valve is pretty sensitive. Be V E R Y carefull when you clean it (if you do). I would also recommend doing a throttle position reset after you clean it and re-seat the hose. This will set the throttle body back into the correct position (sticky about this on this very forum i think).

Hope this helps !

As other have said, the stalling could be due to a voltage/battery issue. If the car stalled/went bonkers for no reason, its quite possible that you (at the very least) need to do a throttle reset to get the car to "re-learn" its throttle position settings at idle etc. That should cure the dodgy starts - but sounds like an electrical issue is the root cause of the car going bonkers to begin with.

Thanks for the reply.

I got my battery tested at the weekend and it was "70%" healthy, so my next test is to do the butterfly clean with the carb cleaner. My car is 2003 so there is a good chance it has never been cleaned.

Fingers crossed!

Be really careful with it - dont force the valve into positions, work around the position it is in as best you can when you clean it. Also - make sure you use a good carb cleaner that basically evaporates after a few seconds of rubbing.

Throttle position reset will be needed after this - make sure you download/print off the sticky :)

Yesterday I started to get VERY strange issues with the car.

I kept getting the "key still in ignition barrel" beep when opening the door with the key in my hand.

The idle would change 3 or 4 times on a typical 14 mile journey, between 600 and 1200.

Windows would NOT work at all, even after reset, totally bolloxed.

Do I took off my negative terminal and went to bed with the hump :angry::rant:

Woke up this morning, reconnected it, everything was fine. All resolved by a second controlled ECU reset.

It was almost like the inital problem was the ECU was "half reset" by alarm faliure which I know isnt possible. Im really confused now.

Car died today, had to rip the siren out to stop the F**KING thing.

Late for work - slap on the wrist.

New car alarm - £375 quid including removal of old alarm.

The boot slamming you in the back of your head whist your frantically looking for a 10mm spanner to disconnect your alarm at night-time. Priceless. :yahoo: