Kennydies

Hi Guys,

I am looking to buy a 350z and am leaning towards an import.

I have read several topic in this forum and have a good idea what to expect. I only have 3 questions.

Will an import have to have a MPH speedo in to to be road legal in the UK.

I wil obvioulsy need to change the BOSE (Better Off with Something Else) stereo. Can someone advise if I can just change the Head Unit or is it more involved. I have never had a bose stereo before and i know they are notoriously difficult to change. I have read the instructions on how to take out the center unit and seems quite simple. Is it just a swap and plug job?

I am going to look at an import a week tomorrow, is there anything I should keep an eye out for?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Hi Guys,

I am looking to buy a 350z and am leaning towards an import.

I have read several topic in this forum and have a good idea what to expect. I only have 3 questions.

Will an import have to have a MPH speedo in to to be road legal in the UK.

I wil obvioulsy need to change the BOSE (Better Off with Something Else) stereo. Can someone advise if I can just change the Head Unit or is it more involved. I have never had a bose stereo before and i know they are notoriously difficult to change. I have read the instructions on how to take out the center unit and seems quite simple. Is it just a swap and plug job?

I am going to look at an import a week tomorrow, is there anything I should keep an eye out for?

Thanks for your help in advance.

hi and Welcome ...

yes import will have to be in MPH.should have been done to get it SVA'd though

yes bose will only pick up limited stations ..general concensus is to junk it and put in a different system (I did :thumbs: )

just look out for normal things that you would do buying any used car, condition , mileage etc..

ps plenty of threads on Imports etc. on this site if you do a search (all free by the way :) ) and dont forget to post pics when you buy it

hi.......... im just going through the stereo change myself and there is many guys here willing to help and advise you....... the guys here are slowly but surely guiding me through the process........... THANKS GUYS... B)

Cheers guys...

More importantly the car stereo....

In the bose units is there anything between the HU and the speakers? I am capable of installing a HU myslef just never delt with a BOSE unit. IE can I just put a new HU in and use an adaptor to plug it inot the existing wiring?

I did have the Alpine 9855 in the previous car and was more than happy.

Am quite tempted by this unit, mainly because of the 70W per channel.

http://www.audio66.com/product.asp?id=5 ... variation=

Thoughts?

Ross

Cheers guys...

More importantly the car stereo....

In the bose units is there anything between the HU and the speakers? I am capable of installing a HU myslef just never delt with a BOSE unit. IE can I just put a new HU in and use an adaptor to plug it inot the existing wiring?

I did have the Alpine 9855 in the previous car and was more than happy.

Am quite tempted by this unit, mainly because of the 70W per channel.

http://www.audio66.com/product.asp?id=5 ... variation=

Thoughts?

Ross

Don't pay any attention to 'power' outputs from most head units. Your Alpine was a cracking unit and sticking with the same make would get you quality laser and DAC over other Japanese makes. :) If you're after power etc. then external amps will prevent it becoming an 'UNSA' car....!

As for something being between the headunit and speakers, I'd guess there's something between the head and the sub at least? Only had mine a few weeks and not had it all out yet..... :wacko:

HTH.

The bose system has 6 speakers and to replace the head unit you also need to replace the speakers.

Do you have to replace all the speakers and what sort of system is available to take advantage of the 6 speaker set up? I take it I have to get a normal head unit and then a sub?

Thanks

The outputs from the BOSE system are somewhere between your standard high level speaker outputs and low level RCA outputs. They go to the BOSE amp (not sure where, probably under the sub or something) where the signal is then sent to the speakers.

You could do one of a few things. Find the amp and take the speaker wires from the head unit and cut into the circuit after the amplifier (so you don't have to run new wires to the doors) but then you'd still need to get something to the sub. With a decent set of front speakers and some Dynamat in the front doors, you probably wouldn't miss it.

Alternatively, get yourself an amp for the sub too and cut in after the BOSE amp again and connect the BOSE sub (personally a waste of your new amp!) or replace the sub for a new one. As for the rears, very little point other than for general ambience in the car, fade your headunit to the front a bit so you don't know they're there. Result should be a much nicer stereo sound in front of you.

Rob.

I finally went ahead and bought one, pick it up in just over a week....

Couple of questions, where can i get a facia adaptor for a single din stereo?

Is the odometer in an import in MPH or KPH?

Just like to say how helpful and quick you guys are.

Thanks

I finally went ahead and bought one, pick it up in just over a week....

Couple of questions, where can i get a facia adaptor for a single din stereo?

Is the odometer in an import in MPH or KPH?

Just like to say how helpful and quick you guys are.

Thanks

Facia adaptor from Ebay

oddo will have been in Kms ,but will then clock on in miles when its been converted for SVA