Brake caliper & piston seizure, cautionary

bronzee

Well folks, there's been a number of 350's brake caliper & pistons seizing in the UK & US in the last few months or so. And now my dear little very well cared for Zed. [:(] Things to look out for are uneven brake dust/more brake dust than usual, slightly sticky feeling brakes, noisier than usual brakes/subtle grinding. It causes quite heavy vibration throughout the car, with the vibration comes harmonics drumming.

These are the worst seized caliper & pistons the guys that work on my car had seen on any vehicle & they work on all sorts (relative to the age of the car), including a lot of very high mileage vehicles.

Completely cracked my fairly new pads. To sort the issue, requires new caliper kit, piston, new pads & brake fluid & opposite end to be inspected also. Rather an expensive fix, so get them checked out or replaced (if necessary) as preventative maintenance if your Zed has any of the listed symptoms. Not got pics of the piston as it had been cleaned for closer inspection by the time I'd gone to get my camera. The piston is also in a rather sad state.

BrakeCaliper6Nov2009.jpg

BrakePad6Nov2009No4.jpg

The worst caliper and piston were at more than double the heat of the others when we'd got back from testing. With a bit of smoke. Not good.

This is more a cautionary than anything, if you notice any of these symptoms, either check it out, or get it checked out. ;)