LSDs and LSDs

vagmag

Well it is time I think to change the OEM viscous LSD.

Maybe it does not work propetly any more... maybe it never did...

The options are the following.

Cusco RS

Carbonetic LSD

OS GIKEN

Nismo

Quaife (very good choice, lifetime warranty but does not work when the one wheel leaves the ground).

Do you have any positive and negative for the above?

My use will be most road use, I want to oversteer easier ane always, but I really would not like the sounds that some of the LSDs make.

Waiting your opinion and experience.

My Zed is in getting a Kaaz 2way (converted to 1.5way for road) diff fitted at the moment.

Its not about oversteer per se - its about more controllable oversteer and getting traction/grip down in and out of corners. IMHO the standard viscous diff is rubbish - at least it was in my last two Zeds. It may be down to it loosing its effectiveness over a couple of years but it certainly wasn't up to putting down the 400BHP/360Ibft on my present Zed on either 1/4 mile or track.

The diff shouldn't be particularly noisy if the backlash is set-up correctly and broken-in properly. Regular diff oil changes with the correct oil will also help here. If its clunking/whining excessively then backlash is either too loose/too tight.

If you are going for road use then a 1.5way diff will be most suitable. I wouldn't personally want anymore than an 60-80% lock up either - something to keep in mind when setting up the diff.